LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

image display reference control still not working

Great.

Still worth fixing though. Or at the very least mention somewhere in the documentation.

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 36
(1,141 Views)

I agree, I will have to check further to see if anything has been or is being done about it.

Regards,

Michael Bilyk

Applications Engineer

National Instruments 

Michael Bilyk
Former NI Software Engineer (IT)
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 36
(1,124 Views)

Still biting in 2016.

It is in fact officially a Vision Toolkit feature according to this page:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/D33C55B27278875B8625765F00787665

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 36
(1,072 Views)

Just thought I would add a bit here about my experience. I was gonna add the image control ref to a class I was building. I, of course, needed to use the work-around to place the control into the class private cluster. When I built an simple application it did crash the first time but ran subsequent runs. I got the following error.

Capture.JPG

I repeated the process: built the executable and ran it with a crash. I disabled my antivirus, rebuilt, and tried again and it ran fine first time. I then tried replacing the image control and reference with a waveform graph in my test project. When I built it, it didn't crash regardless of if AV was running or not.

This workaround and the crashes don't fill me with confidence going forward using the image control reference. It would be nice to know if people have built large scale applications with control references in subvis and classes. Obviously, something is not quite right with this thing.

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 36
(980 Views)

I have an Image Control Refnum control in my Favorite Controls panel which I use whenever I need to pass such a reference to a subVI. Pain in the back, since it adds one step to "Create subVI from selection", but tolerable.

I use it in subVIs in standalone app (LV 2018 SP1 f1 64 bits) without reported issues. HTH.

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 36
(970 Views)

I know that this is an old topic but it's also a very long-standing bug and I discovered it myself for the first time today. I went searching for information and found this old forum discussion.   A subsequent further search on the NI website turned up this 2020 knowledge base article, and in it NI appears to endorse the previously-mentioned idea of passing the IMAQ display reference through a more generic front panel class reference before converting that generic reference to a specific ImageControl class within the subVI.   Hoefully this means that if this method is used, it will NOT result in LV crashes or broken executables. 

Since I have discovered time and time again that forum links to pages on the NI website tend to be rather volatile, I've attached a PDF of the foregoing web page article in the hopes that this information will persist a bit past the next housecleaning of the NI website.

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 36
(651 Views)