LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview database

Hi all,

I heard that LabView itself has a database. May I know what's the name and how to use it? Thanks everyone!!! Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,790 Views)
I am not sure exactly, but NI ships Citadel with some versions of their software.  Perhaps that is what you are refering to. 

Also, they also sell Diadem which is a database/imaging/data management/data miner.  Maybe that is what you are after.

As well as those, there are the storage VIs that have a database behavour.

Maybe more info would help?  What your requirements are, etc.?

Hope that this helps,
Bob Young

Message 2 of 6
(2,766 Views)
We would like to try the LabView database for testing, if it's good and reliable then we would use it to replace our existing database, MS Access.. Do you recommend LabView database? And what is the advantages and limitations of the LabView database? Is Diadem the best choice to have? I think we have this Diadem module because we bought the Professional Version... We are using LabView 8.0.. Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,755 Views)
Hey 222,

The Citadel database could be used for testing, but if you have an existing database in MS Access, you do have a good option.  There is a Database Connectivity Toolkit available that would allow you to easily connect to this database.  Diadem is also an option, but is not available with the Professional Developement Suite of LabVIEW.  If you would like more information about Diadem, here is another link for you.  There is some information about using databases without the toolkit is available if you search on the forums and on ni.com/support.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Andy F.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,727 Views)
Hi Andy..

Can you pls guide me on how to start using the Citadel database? Ya, I do know how to use the database connectivity toolkit to connect to MS Access

The NI consultant called me yesterday saying that the Citadel is not suitable for us to use to replace MS Access and it doesn't have an interface like MS Access. In other word, he doesn't recommend me to use Citadel.. Why??

I heard Citadel is a good database program especially in getting real time data... So I wanna try it out.... I was trying to play around with it under DSC Module->>Historical .... But no idea of getting start on it..

Your proper guidance on this is highly appreciated..

Thanks...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,720 Views)
Hey 222, 

The consultant probably recommends using MS Access over Citadel because it does have an interface and to use it with just LabVIEW requires VI Logger.  It sounds like you have access to DSC, so you can use the DSC VIs to access different databases as well.  Here is a tutorial for earlier versions of logging data with DSC.

DSC Tutorial

Repost with more information (available LabVIEW software) if you have some additional questions!

Andy F.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,695 Views)