LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ni 9215 vs usb-6008

Hello,

Can you tell me what the difference is between NI 9215 and USB-6008?

I have a cDAQ chassis, but I'm wondering what are the advantages to purchasing

NI 9215 over USB-6008.  I am planning to measure an analog voltage output of

around 0.5V at 1Hz sampling.

Anna

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,023 Views)
Hi, NI-DAQmx Base includes the following features: A high-level interface for supported DAQ Devices A subset of the NI-DAQmx API Support for:- USB-9211 USB-9215 USB-6008 USB-6009 USB-6501 You are looking for 9215.NI-DAQmx Base 1.5 supports NI USB-92xx, USB-6008, USB-6009, and USB-6501 devices on Windows 2000/XP. Hope you understand the difference between the two.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks as kudos only:)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,015 Views)

Danil,

I don't know how your answer helps with Anna's question.  Why are you talking about DAQmx Base?  Anna may not even care about the base version if she is able to use the regular DAQmx drivers.  And you've said that version 1.5 supports both of the devices she is looking at.  So how does that differentiate between the two?

Links to the specs would be more helpful NI-9215  USB-6008.

With some pretty mundane requirements of measuring 1/2 V at 1 Hz, I'd say the USB-6008 is more than up to the job at a cheaper price.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,008 Views)
Danil,

Your answer has absolutely nothing to do with the question. No place does the op ask about a driver.

Anna,

Each of the devices has a brief spec viewable on it's product page. Just use the Search box at the top of the page. Each product page also has a link to complete documentation.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,007 Views)
He just asked what is the difference between NI 9215 and USB-6008.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks as kudos only:)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,002 Views)

Exactly.

And you proceeded to talk about DAQmx base.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,999 Views)
As was said, the USB DAQ will do what you want. But, if you already have the cDAQ chassis, it may be better to purchase the 9215 if your system may require expansion in the future. The cDAQ will allow for more options, additional cards you can purchase, allowing for potentially more channels etc. Always be sure to keep possible expansion in mind. But, if you just need a simple single channel 1 Hz acquisition, the USB DAQ will do the job. Also, when looking at specs for USB DAQs, be aware some are only software timed so if you need determinism and it is hooked up to a Windows machine, you won't get it. So, again, it all depends on requirements.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,998 Views)

The analog output is software timed on the USB-6008.  But the analog input has a clock.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,996 Views)

Hi,

Thanks, I looked at the spec sheets for both the USB-6008 and NI 9215.  While the USB-6008 is sufficient for

my current application, one of the main issues I have in the current system is synchronization of the data points.

In particular, I'm collecting 30 thermocouple readings, a couple frequency pulse trains, and now I need to add this analog signal.

I am wondering if it would be better to obtain the NI 9215 for timing synchronization with my other cDAQ modules,

or if synchronization would be the same witht he USB-6008.  It seems to me that the main advantage of NI 9215 is high

sampling rate capability?

Also, I am not sure how the spec fo 12-bit resolution vs 16-bit resolution may affect my data.

If anyone could provide some qualitative descriptions of how NI 9215 is more powerful than USB-6008, that would be helpful,

since it's not immediately clear to me from the spec sheets what the implications of using the cheaper module is.  In particular,

I am concerned about what USB-6008 *can't* do that NI 9215 can.  Unfortunately, most spec sheets don't highlight the shortcomings

of the product.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Anna

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,979 Views)

This link here may be useful to you. It will show you about bits of resolution and how it translates into what you care about (scroll to the top of the page). Have you considered contacting an NI sales rep in yoru area? It is still important to do your own due dilgence, but this kind of thing is their job and they can most likely answer all you need to know.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,973 Views)