LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open subvi front panel in executable

Solved!
Go to solution
Sorry, my snippet looks terrible with that First Call way out there.  I can't think of a clean way to fix it without cropping the image :(.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(2,049 Views)

Hi Nickerbocker,

Sorry to get back to you so late.  I followed your suggestion and used the Static VI reference and created an executable. When creating the executable I unchecked the box in the Source File Settings category under the Dependencies of the Project files which says remove front panel. After unchecking the box and building the executable I am able to open the subVi front panel in the executable. Thanks for that. Now the another question arises here. I have around 20 subVI and I want only this particular subVI front panel to be displayed. If i were to uncheck the option remove front panel when creating the executable it would do so for the remaining 19 subVIs also, now when such an executable is created will the program execution time  be affected? Will it take more time or not? I know writing to the fp takes time but what if all the other subVI also have their fp when the executable is created what happens then.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(2,005 Views)

Hello,

I think the best way to determine this would be to benchmark some code both with and without front panels removed from the built application. I'm not entirely sure what will happen but my thoughts would be that unless you are opening the front panels, the execution times between the two would be comparable. Without opening the front panels, the data should just be passed through the subVIs.

-Zach

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(1,979 Views)

Quick fix:  Add the .vi into the Build Specification's 'Always Included'.

A little more detail:  edit the .exe build spec.  Go to 'Source Files'.  Select 20.vi.  Click -> for 'Always Included'.

As mentioned above, the FP.Open won't natively work because the front panel is stripped when building the .exe.  Setting 'Show front panel when called' does prevent the stripping, but then you have to force the show when called back off before calling it the first time.  Turning off the option to strip front panels for groups is fine, but makes can make the project a little hard to follow.

(I just tested this on LV-2012, but have done similar on 2009.)