LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rename dynamic signals

Hi Everyone,

I'm using Labview 8.5 (cutbacks and all), and I have a question about using the "rename dynamic signals" vi here:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/BD000746F9846E6A86256DD00047574C

Having only done the "self learning" on Labview, a few problems came up.

I had decent success using this sub vi with a simple program - for instance using a single channel temperature logging vi.  However, in a multiple channel temperture logging vi, the rename sub vi no longer works for me.

I see the instructions for this vi:

Use it as a sub-VI to rename all the channels at once. If the string array containing the new signal names has less entries than the number of signals in the Dynamic Data wire, or if it contains empty strings, the according signal's names will remain unchanged.  This enables you to rename only certain signals in a wire.

Can someone help me out and explain exactly what the meaning of "less entries than the number of signals in the Dynamic Data wire, or if it contains empty strings....." is?

I was assuming that the dynamic data in has only 2 entries (channel input signal, in this case temperature, and a time stamp).  So my new dynamic wire should have the same, only a new name associated with it.  I'm guessing I'm completely wrong on this assumption.

Confused,

Darren

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,971 Views)

Your dynamic datatype wire could contain 1 or more signals.  If you provide it an array with less entries than the number of signals, some won't be changed.

You are "assuming" your wire had 2 signals.  Are you sure?  Actually, it sounds like you have only 1 signal, the temperature.  The timestamp is other data that makes up the dynamic datatype.

Where is your blue wire coming from?  A DAQ assistant, some other express VI?  How are the channels configured, (1 sample, N samples)?

Perhaps you can post your VI so we can see exactly how you are using this subVI.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,954 Views)

Thanks Ravens.  I'll post up the vi on Tuesday when I'm back at work.

it's a simple vi, using daq assistant.  Out of the daq assistant are 15 channels configured for type J TC's.  these all split off, have an indicator and a switch to turn off the display on the front page (not log etc), and the rename signals in each line. I didn't choose to configure all 15 channels on one rename vi since I didn't know if it would be simple enough for others using the VI to configure the rename box for each channel (so I set up the signal name right next to the display on the front page.....hope that's clear.

So I thought the daq assistant always had 2 signals per output, the signal and the time.  THey are set up to run until stop is pressed, so N samples.  THis configuration works with a one channel daq assistant, but not more than that (I can't recall if it doesn't work with 2 or more...).

I'll post up the vi on Tuesday.

Thanks 

Darren

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,934 Views)

Here is it.  Excuse the mess.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,904 Views)

Either post the password or post a VI that is not password protected.

It seems a bit silly to password protect a VI that is in development anyway. Are you that afraid of your coworkers?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,901 Views)

It is missing the rename dynamic signals subVI.

And you have it password protected which means it is impossible to look at.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,899 Views)

Yes, it is a bit silly I suppose.  I didn't want people poking around and changing things....

Here it is again, without the PW.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,897 Views)

Excuse the "newb" question, but doesn't that mean the sub VI just isn't in the same root directory as the main VI?

-----------------

It is missing the rename dynamic signals subVI.

And you have it password protected which means it is impossible to look at.

Message Edited by DSRTM on 02-16-2010 10:18 AM
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,896 Views)

No, it means you failed to upload it.  But I realize now that it is the file in the link you had back in the first post, so I went and downloaded it from there.

What do you want the new channel names to be?  All of your arrays that define the channel names are empty.

I'll see if I can look at your VI more after lunch.

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 02-16-2010 12:15 PM
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,891 Views)
Right, I didn't include the subVI.  Thanks for chasing the link above.  
 I was hoping to have the empty array box next to each channel so the "user" could input whatever they wanted for a channel name.  We test different processes on a weekly basis, so having the ability to change channel names would be great. (Rather than going into the DAQ assistant.

Thanks again Ravens.

Ravens Fan wrote:

No, it means you failed to upload it.  But I realize now that it is the file in the link you had back in the first post, so I went and downloaded it from there.

What do you want the new channel names to be?  All of your arrays that define the channel names are empty.

I'll see if I can look at your VI more after lunch.

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 02-16-2010 12:15 PM

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,885 Views)