LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turn off control description

Solved!
Go to solution

Actually, there are differences in Context Help depending on whether you are running the Run Time engine or the Development system. For example, datatypes are not included in the Run Time System. Also the link to expanded Help is not included in the Run Time system, which I do not like. I wanted to link a manual to that link.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(688 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

I'm not saying it can't be, but I don't believe that was ever NI's intention..

Someone should probably tell NI that because I've seen it used in lots of their products.

Context Help.png

I generally don't do this but think it is a fine use of the Context Help.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(680 Views)

According to the video in #2 at http://www.ni.com/tutorial/14131/en/

The user, not developer, is noted when referring to the Description part of the help.

But other documentation suggests the description is for the developer, so it is a bit ambiguous.

mcduff

Message 13 of 15
(666 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

Actually, there are differences in Context Help depending on whether you are running the Run Time engine or the Development system. For example, datatypes are not included in the Run Time System. Also the link to expanded Help is not included in the Run Time system, which I do not like. I wanted to link a manual to that link.

mcduff

Thanks for pointing that out.  I'm only ever truly working in the development environment so I never really pay attention to the context help in a runtime environment to have noticed that the "programmer info" is removed.

To help answer your original question, what does the context help look like if you happened to just enter a single space in the description field?  What would you want to have seen on the screen for those front panel items with no description?  Since context help is its own entity that is either on or off, while the tip strip shows up and goes away on its own based on what control you are hovering over.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(660 Views)

What does the context help look like if you happened to just enter a single space in the description field? 

You would still get a pop-up box with either the label or caption.

What would you want to have seen on the screen for those front panel items with no description?

No pop-up window.

wiebe@CARYA has the best solution. I was hoping there was a property node that I was missing somewhere.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(647 Views)