LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to use NI express card with new laptop with no card slot

I have a NI PXIe-1073 chassis with NI PXI 4496 module. This chassis has NI ExpressCard-8360 connection which connects nicely to my old laptop with express card slot. But I want to use this DAQ system with my new laptop where I am using latest LABVIEW version. New laptop don't have such express card reader slot but only USB slots. How can I make use of this DAQ system with my new laptop? Is there any adapter available from card to USB type? Please help. The old laptop do not support latest windows or LABVIEW version hence I can not use my codes/VI/files etc.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(338 Views)

Hi Rama,

@Rama2141 wrote:

I have a NI PXIe-1073 chassis with NI PXI 4496 module. This chassis has NI ExpressCard-8360 connection which connects nicely to my old laptop with express card slot. 

The old laptop do not support latest windows or LABVIEW version hence I can not use my codes/VI/files etc.

Use the older computer (aka "working system") when you want to rely on old (and outdated) hardware… (Downconvert your VIs for this computer.)

The PXIe-8360 provides a MXI interface: ask your NI support/distributor for MXI host computer interfaces!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(328 Views)

ExpressCard's was a nice laptop interface. But they vanished around 2018.

A ThinkPad P70/71 has the interface and they are still fast enough for most.

NI has made a Knowledge Base about the problem :

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000kIGYSA2&l=da-DK

They suggest you buy this USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 adapter :

softball_0-1713164759614.png

Regards

Message 3 of 8
(302 Views)

USB to Express Card adaptors do exist  

It might be worth trying one.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 4 of 8
(270 Views)

I have used some of the interface cards that RTSLVU mentioned with mixed results.  I remember it being a pain to configure and some things would just never work, but I got the job done.  Caveat:  I was admittedly using some cheap crap I bought on Amazon.  Higher quality (i.e.: more expensive) hardware may perform better. 

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(261 Views)

USB to ExpressCard adapters are unlikely to work because they don't support the PCI Express interface of ExpressCard.

Background: ExpressCard supports 2 interfaces, USB and PCIe. Systems were required to provide both, and modules could use either (or both). The ExpressCard-8360 uses PCIe. 

Most USB adapters will simply hook the USB link to the ExpressCard connector and leave the PCIe link unconnectected. That won't work. They'd need to use a Thunderbolt/USB4 mode which allows tunneling of PCIe. It's more complicated and I've only ever seen 1 adapter like that (though I haven't looked in years). A functional adapter would say something about PCIe, or "full ExpressCard support", or Thunderbolt/USB4 (not simply USB-C). I hope that helps!

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(258 Views)

Robert_R may have forgotten it, but he was active with wise advice's in this old thread, that went on for 4 years 🤔 :

https://forums.ni.com/t5/PXI/Thunderbolt-ExpressCard-Adaptor-for-ExpressCard-8360/td-p/3247429/page/...

The last entry by Patrick from 2020 summarized :

This time you have only 2 choices: A PC plus a PCIe MXI-Express interface card or a laptop equipped with Thunderbolt 3 plus Thunderbolt 2 converter plus Sonnet ExpressCard adapter plus MXI-Express Interface card. I never found another vendor except Sonnet for the ExpressCard adapter.

If someone knows another supplier please let me know.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(241 Views)

Hi softball,

You're right, I'd forgotten about that thread, but the Sonnet adapter was what I was referring to when I said "I've only ever seen 1 adapter like that". It worked, but it's been discontinued.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(232 Views)