cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unwanted cursor legend position reset

Solved!
Go to solution

Good Afternoon,

I am using an XY graph with a visible Cursor legend, in LabVIEW 2009. The cursor legend has 5 cursors on it, but due to space contraints, only two can be visible at a time, and you use the scroll bar to see the lower cursors. However, if I update the cursor position, the cursor legend immediately scrolls back to the top, making it impossible to see the lower cursors when updates are happening. I have attached a simplified version that demonstrates this.

Is there any setting I can change that will keep the cursor legend from moving, so that I can maintain any position when updating cursor position? I know I could resize the legend, but my Customer's GUI contraints limit the legend size. I thought that defer front panel updates would work as well, but then the cursors don't move, and if I toggle panel updates Off -Set Position->ON, the problem is still there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mello

Data Science Automation

CTA, CLA, CLED
SHAZAM!
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,970 Views)

Hi Tim,

I have already shut down for the day so I can't check but I would look for a ref to the cursor legend scroll bar or a property called "top visable" or some such thing.

I hope that helps.

Spoiler

Gotta run and get beer before GB starts.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,961 Views)

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the pointer, but it seems that references to the cursor legend (or any of the palettes) are unaccessible. There are properties to hide or show them, all other items are for values of the cursors themselves. 

I am feeling that I am up against having to live with this functionality, but I am wondering if there is something I am missing (along the lines of the Defer Front Panel updates) that affects the global function of the Graph or VI.

Thanks,

Tim

Data Science Automation

CTA, CLA, CLED
SHAZAM!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,931 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mellobuck

Sorry tim.

What I told you can work in LV 7 but not newer versions.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 14
(3,923 Views)

Mellobuck,

The cursor legend does not seem to have many properties to change programmatically. Unfortunately it seems like you need to move things around depending on your constraints. 

-Ben J.

Ben J.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,908 Views)

Well, "You can't get there from here," is an answer, at least I know I found the limits of the functionality.

-Mello 

Data Science Automation

CTA, CLA, CLED
SHAZAM!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,890 Views)

@Ben J wrote:

Mellobuck,

The cursor legend does not seem to have many properties to change programmatically. Unfortunately it seems like you need to move things around depending on your constraints. 

-Ben J.

Ben,

Can you please explain,

why a function avialable in LV 7 and eralier but missing in the current version is not a bug?

Ben

Message 7 of 14
(3,866 Views)

Ben,

I am searching for the functionality you mentioned in LV 7.1. Please point me to the "top visible" property you mentioned.

Ben J.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,804 Views)

@Ben J wrote:

Ben,

I am searching for the functionality you mentioned in LV 7.1. Please point me to the "top visible" property you mentioned.

See this thread (my reply starts at message # 5) where I wrote;

Sure,

1)right click on the cursor palette and create a reference.

2) Use property node to get ref to ArrElem

3) Use "To more specific" to type cast as a generic cluster.

4) Peoperty node to get "Controls[]" and then index out the cluster element you want to touch.

Now for a follow-up Q.

What are all of the names of the widgets that can show up in a cursor palette?

Ben

and CC replied

First results, published in a hurry, before Ben gives a complete detailled answer, just to grab some stars :

9 : vertical cursor position (pixels, absolute coordinates)
10 : horizontal cursor position (pixels, absolute coordinates)
13 : cursor name height (pixels)
14 : cursor name width (pixels)
15 : vertical cursor name position (pixels, absolute coordinates)
16 : horizontal cursor name position (pixels, absolute coordinates)

There is probably here a way of

So that functionality used to be there and when the grpahs an charts got converted to LV 8, the developers apparently did not know about that very useful technique (that I have used and is impating Tim in this thread).

So again,

Why is a feature that used to work  in LV 7.1 but lacking in post LV 8, not a bug?

quoting Lucy from Peanuts

"Hmmmmmm?"

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,785 Views)

Re: my query above about why it is no longer available in LV 8 and why the lack of that functionality is not a bug.

I got an update and in my own words...

NI decided that accessing the cursor legend was a bug and fixed it. (ouch).

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,747 Views)