LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

user account

Maybe I'm approaching this the wrong way.

The question that started all of this was for a project that included a custom error code file.  I included it in my creation of the executable ( there is a check box in the build).  At every point in my code I hard coded the custom error number ( as a string) when the code encountered one.  So not only did it popup an error message ( if there was one) it wrote the same hard coded string to an array.  I then went thru the array at the end of my test and printed out the error code number and the description of the error.  So now I need the text file for LV to access to get the description of  the error code.  I had posted in another forum question if there was a way to access the error codes that gets packaged w the exe so that I didn't have to include a seperate text file.  I guess I didn't explain myself well enough because the explaination just confused me more.  So thats where I am. 

1) I don't want anyone other than the admin to chg the txt file

2) right now it resides in the root directory because thats the path I'm sure of when an exe is created.  What I've read the exe sometimes adds another path when its created..

3) it will be under config control and only chg'd with a long process of approvals..

4) I was hoping that it could never be access by the user so didn't have anything in place to "detect" that.  config control will control the master...

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(399 Views)

That answers a lot

START HERE

Then let your SCC and IQ/OQ processes do their stuff.Smiley Happy

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(393 Views)

Create an installer, install the application and the file under Program Files\Your Dir (assume you're using Windows system).

Only Admin can change a file in that directory.  Users have only read privilege, can't modify/write.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(375 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Windows will allow users to access a file----It is sort of a "Core Feature" of any OS

This feature can be defeated with a window service (created with LabVIEW).

In the service VI, load the file into memory (or make a copy, ...) when Windows start before user login.

Monitor the directory, if the file is changed, use a call back VI to change the file back to what it was.

Your VIs can flip a flag to disable the this temporarily when your VI wants to change the file.

George Zou
Message 14 of 14
(353 Views)