LabWindows/CVI User Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution and *.cds files

The *.cds files seems to cause me to stumble!   Correct me when I am wrong, but it does not save changes to the *.cds file when the user clicks the "File>>Save all" menu option.  Second, it changes the output directory to the location of the workspace?  This just caused me to release an older version of my code and well "not good".

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,686 Views)

The .cds files are not handled the same way as other files in the project tree (and .cws), and so the "Save All" menu item does not save the .cds files. Currently, the only time the .cds files get saved to disk is when the workspace is unloaded (i.e. when changing workspaces, or exiting CVI). We've recognized that this can sometimes be a problem, so in the next version of CVI we're addressing the issue by doing additional saves after 1) OKing the Manage Distributions dialog, 2) editing a distribution from the Build>>Distributions menu, or 3) building a distribution from the Build>>Distributions menu.

Could you further explain the comment about changing the output directory to the location of the workspace? When you first create a distribution, the default output location is a subdirectory (e.g. "cvidistkit.projname") of the workspace directory. If you change it to something else, that change should persist. The one explanation I can suggest is this sequence of actions:

1. Opened the Manage Distributions dialog.

2. Edited the default output location (and possibly other settings) of the distribution.

3. OKed the Edit dialog.

4. Built your distribution from the right click menu of the Manage Distributions dialog. (This would be built to the "new" output location.)

5. Cancelled the Manage Distributions dialog. This would result in your distribution edits being discarded, and so when you closed CVI, your .cds would be saved with the previous (default) output location.

Do you think this might be what happened?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,261 Views)

I dont think that is what happened.  I will need some time to recreate, and I dont have that time today,  but this week sometime I will

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,261 Views)

I found that the cds file is not updated after I remove a project from the cws workspace. The result is that when building a distribution I get an error due to a missing lib file for the project that was removed. I found that manually editing the cds file while CVI is closed to remove the project from the cds file that was previously removed from the cws file fixes the build issue.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,316 Views)