LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI aborts with no warning when compiling

When I compile a simple instrument driver with the CTRL-K shortcut in CVI 2009 (9.1) it aborts CVI without warning Smiley Surprised

No popup, no nothing.

All I had done was delete a typedef in the driver file for a structure containing GPIB configuration info.

After it did it about 5 times in a row it finally stopped when I included a header file that re-established the typedef for the GPIB struct.

So the problem was that this typdef appeared as a parameter type in a prototype in another header file, and when I eliminated the definition it caused the abort. The abort was immediate, I have to think it was something wrong in the preprocessor.  I do not have precompiled headers checked in the build options.  I am using the standard CVI compiler. 

Weird, huh.

Menchar

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,182 Views)

Hi menchar,

Do you have a simple example project that exhibits this behavior. Based on your explanation, it looks like a bug we might have to report. If you can give me a simple example, I can reproduce the issue and subsequently submit a corrective action request to our R&D team. Is this possible?

Raj
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,145 Views)

Some how I knew you'd ask for that Smiley Wink

I don't have a simple case. 

It was absolutley repeatable, I couldn't believe it when it first happened.

I had something like this in the driver file:

typedef struct _GPIBConfig {

DWORDBus;

} GPIBCONFIG, * LPGPIBCONFIG;

and in a header file I had a prototype that used the typedef as a parameter type:

headerfile.h

INT myFunc (GPIBCONFIG config);

When I eliminated the typedef  from the driver file, I got the crash.

When I added another header that defined the GPIBCONFIG struct, the crashes stopped.

Restarting CVI did not cure the problem.  When I restarted, CVI did a popup saying the previous instance of CVI had been stopped abnormally.   I recovered the project per the popup.  Then when I restarted and recompiled, it crashed again, but when I restarted I didn't get the popup.

Menchar

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,143 Views)

Hi menchar,

I created a simple project on my end.

Added a function tree and a function panel window.

Created the .c and .h files for the function panel.

Added them to the project.

Added the following line in the instrument header file.

typedef struct _GPIBConfig {

DWORD Bus;

} GPIBCONFIG, * LPGPIBCONFIG;

Compiled the code. It compiled successfully.

Added another header file to the project and inserted the following line under Global functions.

int myFunc (GPIBCONFIG config) 

I removed the typedef struct code from the instrument header file.

Is there something I am doing incorrectly here? Is there anything else that you would have me try to reproduce this issue?

Raj
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,107 Views)

When I said "driver" I meant a C code module that I use as an instrument driver, without a function panel.    It's not a "driver" in any formal sense.

The crash occurred when the typedef was in the instrument module itself (not a header file) and I deleted it from the module.  

It may have been some perverse combination of editing and file manipulation that showed the problem ... if I see it again I will try to capture the sources so that you can try to diagnose it.

I had never seen this type of problem before despite using CVI 2009 for many hundreds of hours.  I wonder if it has something to do with the changes made to CVI to support precompiled headers, though I was not using precompiled headers at the time.

So I wouldn't do anything more with it for now if I were you, let's see if it happens again.

Thanks,

Menchar

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,103 Views)