LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Labwindows CVI version 10.0 program written in windows XP work in Windows 7

Hello,

I have written a LABWINDOWS CVI version 10.0 program in the Windows XP enviroment. The program communicates

via Ehternet interface with NI cDAQ-9188.

Can I use the same program in the Windows 7 environment?

Thanks

Bobby

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,816 Views)

Hello Bobby,

To the best of my knowledge, you shouldn't have any trouble running your program in Windows 7. According to this article, LabWindows 2010 is compatible with Windows 7:

http://www.ni.com/lwcvi/product-lifecycle/

Are you running into any specific challenges moving to a different system? The only serious concern I could see is if you were using a driver in your program that is not compatible with Windows 7. If you'd like more specific help, any further description of your application would be helpful.

Regards,

Collin D.
Software Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,791 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for the answer. We use NI hardware but use the RS232 interface program in the CVI to communicate to

2 external devices.

Thanks again

Best Regards

Bobby

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,785 Views)

Hello Bobby,

Do you have any more information regarding the RS232 interface program? If that program is compatible with Windows 7 and you aren't using any other drivers, you should be able to upgrade without issue.

Regards,

Collin D.
Software Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,759 Views)

Hello Mr Collin,

The RS232 program used is from a LabWindow CVI example program. It uses the CVI library files related to the

standard RS232 port.

The Main program communicates with the NI cDAQ-9188. I use a function call inside the CVI Main program to

communicate with an external device through the computer's RS232 port. The function call is just a RS232 example from the

CVI programs that I modified.

Thanks

Bobby

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,751 Views)

Hello Bobby,

I would assume that Windows 7 and Windows XP handle serial communication the same way. Because of this, unless there are additional code modules that might only be compatible with XP and not with Windows 7, I would assume you should be fine when you upgrade. Feel free to post back if you start experiencing issues after the transition.

Regards,

Collin D.
Software Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,745 Views)