LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to keep DMM Soft Panel floating above CVI user interface, and not get hidden

i just want to display an NI MAX DMM softpanel on top of my CVI .uir

I can do it just fine, until something updates on my CVI panel, then it becomes active, and the DMM softpanel falls "behind" the CVI main panel.  I can click the DMM from teh Windows OS taskbar, and it brings it forward, but only to disappear at the next CVI panel update.

How can i make this always float on top?   I can make other CVI panels always float on top, and i've set the main CVI panel to "Never" float, but it still keeps burying the NI MAX DMM Soft Panel at every update.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,633 Views)

Hi rjohnson,

This is most likely an because of the way Windows redraws the CVI panel so it's windows overiding the behavior of CVI. How exactly are you calling the Soft Front Panel? If you are calling it as an executable, then which panel on is on top is determined by the operating system and not CVI. If you need to aquire data from the DMM, then it would be a good idea to make another panel. If you are calling the DMM through another avenue, you can try the InstallPopup function to create a modal dialog box. This should keep the DMM front panel on top until it is closed.

Best Regards,

-KP

Kurt P
Automated Test Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,604 Views)

I didn't explain the problem very well, sorry.

I'm actually using CVI and TestStand, and UI Messaging between the sequence file and a custom messaging. I'm calling the DMM softpanel via IVI calls in TestStand sequence file.    The softpanel only disappears when i call InstallPopup during a UI messaging event, to display another unrelated panel. that panel doesn't cover the softpanel but still causes the softpanel to "fall behind" the main executable panel anyhow.   

i've got a workaround to restore the softpanel position by just calling IVI function to "Show Panel" that brings the DMM softpanel back to the front.   Also, my whole use of the softpanel is sort of a mid-term temporary measure anyhow, until i find free time to code it directly and quit using the softpanel altogether.  

So unless you have an immediate idea about this, i'm going to not worry about it anymore.  it was just an annoyance, and my use of the softpanel is kind of hackish anyhow  😉

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,583 Views)