Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Builder: INI and CONF Files

This looks like a minor logistics bug in Linux LV 2009 application builder:

Suppose you create a file myapp.conf and specify it as your configuration file (as opposite to labview.conf). When you build your application, LabVIEW creates a file myapp.ini in the target folder; this file has the contents of your original myapp.conf file. When you run your application for the first time, myapp.conf is created with some default stuff in it. At the same time, when you launch your app, it looks like it reads settings from the myapp.conf file.

As a workaround, you have to add your myapp.conf file explicitly into "always included".

Sergey L

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,035 Views)

This is expected behaviour since as long as there is an application builder. In fact in earlier versions than something like 8.0 LabVIEW even used a default ini file instead of a copy of the most relevant settings from your current LabVIEW configuration file if you didn't explicitedly include an according ini file in the build that has the same name as your resulting application name.

In order to have a specific ini file used for your build app, you always had to include it explicitedly in the build and I hope they won't change that behaviour.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,548 Views)

Rolf, actually I am talking about seemingly incosistent use of CONF and INI files on the Linux platform: as far as I know, there is no such file as labview.ini - there is only labview.conf - and I would expect that myapp should also use myapp.conf (which it does). I would also expect not to see any ini files at all, which is not the case - myapp.ini is automatically generated by the application builder, but as far as I can tell, it is not being used by myapp (e.g. font settings are retrieved from myapp.conf, not myapp.ini).

Sergey

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,548 Views)

You're right, this is a bug. In 2009 we changed from Foo.ini to Foo.conf for consistency with the rest of the platform, but we apparently didn't get this part of the build quite right. I have filed CAR# 244393 so that we can fix this in a future version of LabVIEW.

Thank you for reporting it. In the meantime, the only workaround I can come up with right now is to use a custom post-build step (also added in 2009) to move myapp.ini to myapp.conf.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,548 Views)