Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get VISA and Py-VISA running with Ubuntu 12.04?

Since i am running Ubuntu 12.04 with a 3.2.0-38 kernel the installation of NI-VISA, which i need to communicate with a vector network analyzer, is not straightforward (when I run the INSTALL of the mounted .iso image, i get 'ERROR: 3.2 kernels are not supported!'etc.). I have come across various solutions online, although none tried for 12.04. I am definitely not an expert in Linux, but i can have been getting along OK so far: what is your advice to overcome this problem the most easy way... has anyone had any experiences with Ubuntu 12.04?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,709 Views)

I think that error is fixed with the latest NI-KAL: http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/3477/lang/en

Try installing this latest ni-kal first, then continue with installing the rest of them.

Ubuntu sadly remains unsupported distribution though

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,362 Views)

Hi,

an other way is to take an ethernet to serial converter. So you have just to open a tcp connection in LabVIEW and everything you send he will write on the serial bus.

In our experimantel instruments we use the NPort converter from Moxa to communicat over Ethernet. Normaly you can use a driver so you have an addition seriell port.

But the Nport converter are able to run in the TCP Server-mode so it work like i discribe above.

cu

Oliver

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,362 Views)

I try to install NI-VISA 5.3.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 and becomme this error

* The version of gcc in the path does not match the version of gcc used to compile the currently running

* kernel. This can cause unpredictable behavior in kernel drivers and should be fixed.

* gcc version: gcc-Version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)

* kernel compiled with: 4.6.3

Can Anyone help me to fix it ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,362 Views)