Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel Error installing NI-488.2 2.5.1f on Ubuntu 9.04

I am configuring an embedded controller to run Ubuntu 9.04; NI-KAL (2.1.0f0)  NI-VISA (4.5.0f0) and NI-488.2 (2.5.1f0) so that I can controll an NI-USB-GPIB-HS

(A Versalogic 'PUMA' which only has 256mb of physical memory. => older Distros)

NI-KAL and NI-VISA installed without a hitch.

I am getting the following error:

******************************** ERROR ****************************************
* Kernel source in /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build does not appear to be
* for the 2.6.28-11-generic kernel.
* Ensure that kernel source for the 2.6.28-11-generic kernel is installed
* and configured.  Refer to the README file for the product you are           *
* installing for information about configuring your kernel source.            *

I am  not sure... But, it doesn't appear the source was transferred from the CD to the HD during install.

I do *NOT* have Internet Access for Linux at work.

And, I am decidedly not all that familiar with Linux or Ubuntu

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Mike Sr.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(9,724 Views)

I have been informed that the Source is *not* vailable on a CD distribution.

I can find 'packages' at

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/

But, have no idea of what to download, or how to configure and install it.

I can only download at home and bring what I download to work.

I cannot take my development system home.

Any ideas.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,385 Views)

OK, Update...

If I understand the Package Manager correctly, it is saying that the source is installed.

A find discovers the following:

mikesr@mikesr-desktop:/$ sudo find -iname version.h -print
./usr/include/linux/version.h
./usr/include/linux/dvb/version.h
./usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11/include/linux/dvb/version.h
./usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11/include/sound/version.h
./usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11/include/xen/interface/version.h
./usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/include/linux/version.h

The area of the script in question appears to be:

Looking For:
# find the kernel headers/source dir
   if [ $KERNELHEADERS ]; then
      headersDir=$KERNELHEADERS
   elif [ -d "/lib/modules/$kernelVersion/build/include/linux" ]; then
      if [ -d "/lib/modules/$kernelVersion/source/include/linux" ]; then
         headersDir=/lib/modules/$kernelVersion/source
      else
         headersDir=/lib/modules/$kernelVersion/build
      fi
   elif [ -d "/usr/src/linux-$kernelVersion/include/linux" ]; then
      headersDir=/usr/src/linux-$kernelVersion
   elif [ -d "/usr/src/linux-$kernelMajor.$kernelMinor/include/linux" ]; then
      headersDir=/usr/src/linux-$kernelMajor.$kernelMinor
   elif [ -d "/usr/src/kernels/$kernelVersion/include/linux" ]; then
      headersDir=/usr/src/kernels/$kernelVersion
   elif [ -d "/usr/src/linux/include/linux" ]; then
      headersDir=/usr/src/linux
   else
      echo "************************************ ERROR

As near as I can figure the script is *not* looking in the right place?

Can anyone help me modify the script so that it 'sees' the directory found with 'find'?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,385 Views)

Because you write yourself that your Linux experience is modest, I would strongly recommend not  to modify such scripts  at all, as the guaranteed result will be a complete mess up.

If I understood this thread, you hold two sufficiently different systems to warrant two names, 2-6-28-11 and 2-6-28-11-generic, which is alreay dangerous.

A very careful tracking of what has been instadded, where taken, and why, probably followed by a delicate clean up, is what  i would suggest, if possile with the collaboration ofa person a bit familiar with kernels.

The problem with hacking scripts is that it usually doesn't stop with the first script encountered. Be warned.

yanqele

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,385 Views)

If you're not very comfortable with Linux, you might want to consider sticking to the distributions that we officially support. Someone from NI is more likely to reply.

For NI-KAL 2.1, we officially support these distributions:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop + Workstation 5

Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 4

openSUSE 11.3

openSUSE 11.2

Lately we also supports Scientific Linux distribution, but you'll need to download newer NI-KAL from our web site for that.

Sorry, Ubuntu is not supported at this point.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,385 Views)

yanqele , I agree. However, as I don't really have a lot of invested time and can wipe the disk and start over... I am willing to 'play' if I can get some 'direction'. If I get a chance my first attempt will be to include the -generic headers directory into the script, and see what happens.

Thanks for you reply.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,383 Views)

irwan,

others have gotten NI-488.2 to work with Ubuntu 9.04. Someone in NI knows what the script actually needs to install under the Kernel.

I cannot install anything later than 9.04 as the embedded controller only has 256MB of RAM and even 9.10 has a kernel crash on the install attempt.

9.04 runs quite well and NI-KAL and NI-VISA both installed without incident.

Of course, I can't really test them if my only interface is an NI-USB-488-HS and I can't get NI-488.2 tpo install because the script can't find the headers it needs.

If I can't get support and make this 'simple' project work, why should my boss invest in newer hardware and software?

I can put the PC-104 form factor is many many places where a desktop or even a laptop just won't work.

But, thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,385 Views)

Mike,

Can we talk through Skype?

I have some long term  transient health problem with typing.

On Skype I am yanqele too and I just switched it on.

The first thing I wish to convince you of is to compare line by line the generic and non generic headers files before changing them. It could be just a naming issue, as it occurs too often with Ubuntu: they like being non standard on name and location. This would be trivial to handle. But it could be more subtle.

The second thing is switching from Ubuntu to something more fitted to your hardware. For example, for sure you don't need X11 in the controller, right?

Jacques

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,385 Views)

Possibly on the weekend... I am not set up for Skype at this time. Will take a look at the header files in the meantime. Hang In There! A rest you hands

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,385 Views)

Hi SpiritualMadMan,

your issue sound similar the trouble I had in January this year. Let me past my notes in here:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I'm a newbie on LabVIEW but with some background on *nix boxes. Installation of LabVIEW2011 on CentOS (2.6.18-274.18.1.el5.centos.plus) failed for NI-VISA for Linux version 5.1.0f0 with the following message:

-----------------------------------------------------------

************************************ ERROR *************************************

* Kernel source does not appear to be installed for the 2.6.18-274.18.1.el5.centos.plus kernel.

*    Installation of the kernel-source package for kernel 2.6.18-274.18.1.el5.centos.plus is

*                   required to continue this installation.

************************************ ERROR *************************************

----------------------------------------------------------

With the command

[root@pd-backup]# yum install kernel-devel.i686

I could move a step forward and repeat the installation routine till the following message appeared:

* The version of gcc in the path does not match the version of gcc used to    *

* compile the currently running kernel.  This can cause unpredictable         *

* behavior in kernel drivers and should be fixed.                             *

* gcc version: gcc-Version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-51)                                                          *

* kernel compiled with: 4.1.2                                                 *

---------------------------------------------------------

It seems there isn't a mismatch of gcc version. Looking into the installerUtility.sh wich is part of the nivisa-5.1.0f0.tar.gz on the line 353 the gcc-version get into a variable. For some unknown reason the command sed doesn't strip of the other character from the version message and therefore the comparison failed. Manual typing of the commands show that the version a totally equal:

[root@pd-backup]# cat /proc/version

Linux version 2.6.18-274.18.1.el5.centos.plus (mockbuild@builder10.centos.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-51)) #1 SMP Thu Feb 9 16:38:08 EST 2012

[root@pd-backup]# gcc -v 2>&1 | tail -n 1

gcc-Version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-51)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

contacting NI Germany didn't help, so I commented out the lines where the version get checked in the script mentioned above. The installation went fine through end LabView 2011 is running until now.

good luck

Bodo

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,385 Views)