Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux bootup halted, saw error:" FATAL: Module nipxirmk not found"

Hi guys,

So this is the second time I reboot my system after install the DAQmx Base 3.5 on RHEL 6.1. But the boot up stops at the command line window, where the check list is diplayed saying which modules are OK. I saw the message saying

FATAL: Module nipxirmk not found.

But I was still able to ssh to my computer via another machine on the network. I went and check:

lsmod |grep ni

and I don't see any nipxirmk is available:

[root@mainpc disk]# lsmod |grep ni
nipalk               1594495  2 NiViPciK
nikal                  85560  1 nipalk
cnic                   51939  1 bnx2fc
uio                    10940  1 cnic
ipv6                  322899  115 cnic

I then try to reinstall it hoping it will find it but I got this

[root@mainpc disk]# yum reinstall nipxirmk

No Match for argument: nipxirmk

Error: Nothing to do

So wonder if anyone has experience this before? Again I checked the driver after I first installed it and it recognize the NI USB 6009 when I execute #lsdaq. But after the reboot, things seem to be screwed up somehow.

I will really appreciate any tip how to get this sorted out.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,490 Views)

The nipxirmk kernel module is an NI driver module, yum will not know about it. I would imagine that an update upgraded the kernel that you are running, and therefore you need to rerun the DAQmx Base kernel installation process

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,560 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion Brad.

I did ./UNINSTALL it and then ./INSTALL once again. But after I uninstall the driver, the nipalk and nikal are still left behind. so when I reinstall the driver I got messages saying certain thigns have been installed so nothing is done to it

Installing NI-VISA for Linux version 4.5.1f0...

Pre Installation .

Post Installation .

/usr/local/natinst/nikal/bin/installerUtility.sh: line 220: return: -1: invalid

option

return: usage: return

Skipping nikali-1.9.0-f0.noarch.rpm installation, same or newer already installe

d.

option

Skipping nipalki-2.4.1-f0.x86_64.rpm installation, same or newer already install

ed.

option

Skipping nipali-2.4.1-f0.i386.rpm installation, same or newer already installed.

option

Skipping nidimi-1.9.2-f0.i386.rpm installation, same or newer already installed.

option

Skipping nimdnsresponder-1.1.0-f3.i386.rpm installation, same or newer already i

nstalled.

option

Skipping niorbi-1.9.0-f0.i386.rpm installation, same or newer already installed.

Skipping nipxirmi-1.6.0-f0.i386.rpm installation, same or newer already installe

d.

option

Skipping nirpci-4.1.1-f0.i386.rpm installation, same or newer already installed.

option

Skipping nispyi-2.6.0-f0.i386.rpm installation, same or newer already installed.

So should I remove the directory /usr/local/natinst after I uninstall the initial driver to have all the packages remove before I retry installing it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,560 Views)

Ok I got help from a computer support staff at my institute.

We ended up went in /etc/rc5/d and remove the broken links associated with the NI. Then we uninstall with UNINSTALL script, but this script does not remove everything. We had to delete all the files related to NI in /usr/local/natinst, /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/natinst, /etc/natinst manually. After cleaning al lthe NI files, we reinstall the driver as usual.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,560 Views)