Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-DAQmx for Linux support for additional cards needed

I have an LabVIEW application that runs on Linux which has used NI-DAQmx v8.0.2 to do data acquisition from a NI-PCI-6071E for many years. I recently have been requested to implement some new instances of this system.

Upon looking at NI's product lineup I noticed two things:

1) the PCI-6071E isn't sold anymore and

2) the replacment cards (PCIe-6353 and PCIe-6363) are not supported by NI-DAQmx v8.0.2 (or by NI-DAQmx base)

No other NI DAQ cards will meet my applications specs (except the PCI-6255 which isn't support either). Am I completely out of luck? Is NI adding Linux NI-DAQmx support for any of their new DAQ cards?

Windows OS is NOT an option.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,748 Views)

Hi,

I think your way is to switch your application to NI-DAQmxBase. Firstly, you should read NI-DAQmxBase specification, because it has some limitations compare to NI-DAQmx. For example: DMA support are missing for correlated digital output/input - it speed is limited by computer speed 100kHz. Read it and check if it met you application specs.

In case, of text programming language (C/C++, Pascal) switching to NI-DAQmxBase is not hard, but in Labview it will be terrible.

In one application I have PCI-6224 (NI-DAQmxBase) and it works perfectly.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,072 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

It is my understanding that none of the NI DAQ cards that meet my specifications are supported by NI-DAQmx base (PCI-6255, PCIe-6353, PCIe-6363).

Is this not true? The card you mentioned, the PCI-6224, is explicitly supported (http://download.ni.com/support/softlib//multifunction_daq/nidaqmxbase/14.0/Linux/README.txt).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,072 Views)

Hi,

What about PCI-6259? It probably mets your specs - difference is less number of analog channels.

And also is not make sence that PCI-6255 is not supported, because all card from M-Series probably supported by NI-DAQmxBase.

My mention about of PCI-6224 only an example in my application.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,072 Views)

One the hard specs for my application is a minimum of 32 differential input channels.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,072 Views)

Ask directly, your local NI repesentant if PCI-6255 supporeted under Linux.

PCI-6259 has 40 digital lines: 32 - hardware timed  , 8 - software clocked.

Next solution will be to use two cards to pass specs.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,072 Views)