Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-PCI-6251 not detected (Ubuntu 12.04)

Hello,

I'm trying to get a PCI-6251 working under Ubuntu 12.04 (Kernel 3.8.0-33). I installed NIDAQmx Base 3.7.0, including NI-VISA 5.4 (NI-Homepage says it supports the card). As far as I can see it, the main components seem to function. A USB-6009 is working nicely. The problem is, that lsdaq does not find the PCI-6251. I tried FMWUpdate and updateNIDrivers without any success.

lspci gives me

04:03.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: National Instruments PCI-6251 [M Series - High Speed Multifunction DAQ]

so the card is present.

Do you have any suggestions or experiences regarding this problem?

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,855 Views)

Hello, Thomas

Post the full output of lspci -v command for this card. In your output there is no line driver in use <driver name>.

The next usefull command is lsdaq, which show you Dev1 device name, for example, for your card.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,971 Views)

Hello,

lspci -v

04:03.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: National Instruments PCI-6251 [M Series - High Speed Multifunction DAQ]

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17

Memory at dfcff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Memory at dfcfe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

Kernel driver in use: ni_pcimio

Kernel modules: ni_pcimio

lsdaq

--------------------------------

Detecting National Instruments DAQ Devices

Found the following DAQ Devices:

For comparison, when the USB-6009 is plugged in:

NI USB-6009: "Dev1"    (USB0::0x3923::0x717B::00E06F71::RAW)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,971 Views)

Hello,

I have very similar card NI PCI 6250 installed on PC with Mageia Linux 2 (rpm distro kernel 3.3.6).

There are outputs on my PC with NI PCI 6250 card:

lspci -v

06:02.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: National Instruments PCI-6250

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18

Memory at 70005000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Memory at 70004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

Kernel driver in use: nimxbase

lsdaq

NI 6250:     "Dev1"    (PXI6::2::INSTR)

You can see that driver which used for my card PCI 6250 is nimxbase, but for your card PCI 6251 module ni_pcimio is loaded.

I think you can try to unload module ni_pcimio using of rmmod command and try to load module nimxbase using of modprobe or insmod commands.

I don't know if all M-series cards supported by nimxbase  module.

Can anyone answer on it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,971 Views)

ThomasGK wrote:

I'm trying to get a PCI-6251 working under Ubuntu 12.04 (Kernel 3.8.0-33). I installed NIDAQmx Base 3.7.0, including NI-VISA 5.4 (NI-Homepage says it supports the card). As far as I can see it, the main components seem to function. A USB-6009 is working nicely. The problem is, that lsdaq does not find the PCI-6251. I tried FWUpdate and updateNIDrivers without any success.

lspci gives me

so the card is present.

Do you have any suggestions or experiences regarding this problem?

ThomasGK wrote:

lspci -v

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17

Memory at dfcff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Memory at dfcfe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

Kernel driver in use: ni_pcimio

Kernel modules: ni_pcimio

Hi Thomas,

NI DAQmx Base supports your 6251.

The Ubuntu 12.04 distribution includes the Comedi measurement hardware driver and library. It has taken precendence over NI DAQmx Base, which is why the kernel driver in use is different. If you want to use NI-DAQmx Base, you can uninstall the Comedi driver and library. It appears that there are three packages to remove: https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/search/precise/?q=comedi

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,971 Views)

mig-31 wrote:

[...]

You can see that driver which used for my card PCI 6250 is nimxbase, but for your card PCI 6251 module ni_pcimio is loaded.

I think you can try to unload module ni_pcimio using of rmmod command and try to load module nimxbase using of modprobe or insmod commands.

The problem is that there is no such module on my system. Most other modules (like nipal oder nikal) had to be compiled with the kernel. nimxbase was none of them. I guess for the supported systems the installation of nidaqmx base was enough. Maybe someone here knows, where I can find the sources for the module.

But thanks for the initial idea. If i cant get nidaqmx working for the card. I can still use the Comedi API.

JoeFriedchicken wrote:

The Ubuntu 12.04 distribution includes the Comedi measurement hardware driver and library. It has taken precendence over NI DAQmx Base, which is why the kernel driver in use is different. If you want to use NI-DAQmx Base, you can uninstall the Comedi driver and library.

Uninstalling the packages does not remove the kernel module. This might work, when the above problem is solved.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,971 Views)

ThomasGK wrote:

JoeFriedchicken wrote:

The Ubuntu 12.04 distribution includes the Comedi measurement hardware driver and library. It has taken precendence over NI DAQmx Base, which is why the kernel driver in use is different. If you want to use NI-DAQmx Base, you can uninstall the Comedi driver and library.

Uninstalling the packages does not remove the kernel module. This might work, when the above problem is solved.

There are several ways to stop using the Comedi modules. Two that come to mind are: use a kernel that doesn't have them; blacklist them.

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,971 Views)