Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-USB-6229/6343

We are using the NI-USB-6229 under Windows (XP) and plan to upgrade to the NI-USB-6343 for our radar interface under Centos 7.x (64bit).

Is it possible to use those devices with the latest, 15.0, driver ?
I can even help troubleshooting if needed. That way we can probably gather another 10 to 15 years out of our system.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,642 Views)

tchiwam wrote:

We are using the NI-USB-6229 under Windows (XP) and plan to upgrade to the NI-USB-6343 for our radar interface under Centos 7.x (64bit).

Is it possible to use those devices with the latest, 15.0, driver?

Support for NI USB devices on Linux is quite limited.

The NI-DAQmx Base driver is the only NI driver that contains support for USB devices on Linux. The closest device that matches the 6229 and 6343 that you can use is the USB 6218. In addition to limited device support, DAQmx Base also limits the device features that you can use, and the readme describes what is supported.

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,724 Views)

Thanks for the heads up. We only need the driver to work. Everything else we have has been interfaced with Python, so in theory we can run the same python code on linux (tm)

Is there any hope to get the support developed for the 6229/6343 ? I have not been able to find the code anywhere, so I'm guessing it's all closed source. We would need at least 2 6218 devices and they would need to sync their samples.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,724 Views)

tchiwam wrote:

We only need the driver to work. Everything else we have has been interfaced with Python, so in theory we can run the same python code on linux (tm)

The DAQmx Base C API is much smaller than the DAQmx C API because it only supports a subset of device features. The DAQmx Base header file shows which functions have been removed by way of commenting the unsupported entry points. If your application uses any of these unsupported entry points, the driver will not work for you.

tchiwam wrote:

Is there any hope to get the support developed for the 6229/6343? I have not been able to find the code anywhere, so I'm guessing it's all closed source. We would need at least 2 6218 devices and they would need to sync their samples.

The product team continues to track requests like these, but there are no plans at this time. DAQmx Base does support external clocking for analog input, so you will be able to synchronize two 6218 devices.

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,724 Views)