Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem installing NI-VISA on OpenSUSE 13.1

Hi everybody,

i want to use 9234 (http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/it/nid/209283) with Opensuse linux version 13.1.

I know that supported OpenSUSE linux is 12.2 but i tried to install with newer version OpenSUSE to develop my application.

Substantially i need only the driver to command the device but my questions are:

-could be possible to install all NI-Daqmx software on Opensuse 13.1

-eventually have anyone the procedure to install only NI-Daqmx Base to my operating system?

-because i tried to use the readme file to install software as above finding problems installing NI-VISA, have anyone some suggestions to solve it? (i attach the problem below)

This is a problem found installing NI-VISA

Installing NI-VISA for Linux version 5.4.0f0...

Pre Installation .

Post Installation .

Pre Installation ...................................

Preparazione in corso...              ################################# [100%]

il file /usr/local/natinst entra in conflitto durante il tentativo d'installazione di nispyi-2.8.1-f0.i386 e nipalki-2.9.1-f0.x86_64

il file /usr/local/natinst entra in conflitto durante il tentativo d'installazione di nipalerri-2.9.1-f0.i386 e nispyi-2.8.1-f0.i386

il file /usr/local/natinst entra in conflitto durante il tentativo d'installazione di nipxipfki-1.5.1-f0.x86_64 e nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

il file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore entra in conflitto durante il tentativo d'installazione di niapalerri-2.2.1-f0.i386 e nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

il file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/bin entra in conflitto durante il tentativo d'installazione di niapalerri-2.2.1-f0.i386 e nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

il file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc entra in conflitto durante il tentativo d'installazione di niapalerri-2.2.1-f0.i386 e nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

il file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc/errors entra in conflitto durante il tentativo d'installazione di niapalerri-2.2.1-f0.i386 e nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

il file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc/errors/ChineseS entra in conflitto durante il tentativo d'installazione di niapalerri-2.2.1-f0.i386 e nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

il file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc/errors/English entra in conflitto durante il tentativo d'installazione di niapalerri-2.2.1-f0.i386 e nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

il file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc/errors/French entra in conflitto durante il tentativo d'installazione di niapalerri-2.2.1-f0.i386 e nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

il file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc/errors/German entra in conflitto durante il tentativo d'installazione di niapalerri-2.2.1-f0.i386 e nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

il file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc/errors/Japanese entra in conflitto durante il tentativo d'installazione di niapalerri-2.2.1-f0.i386 e nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

il file /usr/local/natinst/.nicore/etc/errors/Korean entra in conflitto durante il tentativo d'installazione di niapalerri-2.2.1-f0.i386 e nimxdfi-3.0.0-f0.i386

Error installing NI-VISA for Linux 5.4.0f0.

Installer is aborted.

best regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,901 Views)

I tried to install NI-VISA 5.4 on Mageia 3, which has kernel 3.8.x (OpenSuse 13.1 has newer kernel), and instalation was failed. I have got the same errors, which you can discard using patch in one discussion in this forum or by rpm command with option key without checking dependences between rpm packages. But the result in my case Mageia 3 (kernel 3.8.x),  I can't build the kernel module for my card PCI-6250.

For Mageia 2 (kernel 3.3.x) I have installed NI-VISA 5.4 without problem. This means, that for me the lastest kermel supported by NI-VISA 5.4 without magic around installaton scripts is 3.3.x.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,394 Views)

Thank you mig-31,

i found same post you are talking about regarding some RPM options that no verify some check. I tried to do it with no good results. So do you think with kernel 3.3 i can install all NI-DAQmx package without problems? Or do you think this is only true for NI-VISA 5.4? Do you know problems with 64 bit?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,394 Views)

Yes, I think with kernel 3.3 you can install NI-DAQmxBase (not Ni-DAQmx) with NI-VISA 5.4, because NI-DAQBase needs NI-VISA. I also installed NI-DAQBase and VISA 5.4 on Scientific Linux 6.4 without problems : kernel 2.6.x.

What about NI-VISA, you should install NI-VISA, because during installation installation scripts build and install the kernel module drivers (drivers for supported DAQ cards). Without properly builded and installed kernel module drivers NI-DAQmx can't works with NI hardware (DAQ cards).

I also tried to install NI-VISA 5.4 and NI-DAQmxBase on Mageia 2 64-bit (kernel 3.3.x). It was installed without problems, but installer probably built only 32-bit kernel module driver. Kernel module driver for my PCI-6250 card didn't load. NI-DAQmxBase doesn't work without loaded kernel module driver.

Probably, there is a possibility to work with card without kernel module driver using VISA VI's (Virtual instruments) in Labvew. It's a quation for NI developers, if VISA VI's work directly with card I/O ports or mapped memory, but you still needs a description of DAQ card control registers.

After "good" instalation you can check if the kernel module driver is loaded using of lspci -v command and names ("Dev1", "Dev2" and so on) of your NI DAQ cards using of lsdaq.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,394 Views)