Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help - What software would be useful?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction regarding the following. I am studying abrasive particles and have many SEM still images of particles ranging from 10-120 microns. I am looking for some software that will allow me to easily calculate various properties relating to the particle, such as size, geometry, area ect - or anything really that might be of use to allow me to compare one particle with another.

1) Is there certain features which may be useful to know when it comes to comparing abrasive particles?

2) Is there simple software available that would be suitable (i was recommended a program called SIGMAscan but this seems perhaps too much of an investment at around $900 for what i need it for).

Thanks guys, appreciate any feedback

Chris.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,939 Views)

Hello Chris,

The Vision Development Module for NI LabVIEW contains a Particle Statistics VI function with is able to detect particle sizes in a single image and provide a data in terms of each unique particle.  Common image formats can be imported into LabVIEW to help you perform the preferred function. 

http://www.ni.com/vision/software.htm

If you are new to Machine Vision with LabVIEW, the Vision Development Module ships with the Vision Assitant which gives you a live window to prototype different functions and see your image particles be isolated with each step.

To find out whether you already have a valid license for this software, you can contact your local NI branch and ask to speak with an Inside Sales Engineer.  Their role allows them to understand your complete application better and offer well rounded solution for someone like yourself who is just starting up.  Your local branch's contact number is found at http://www.ni.com.  If you are in the UK, call 01635 523545.

Regards,

George T.
Senior Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK and Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,887 Views)

Hi,

If you have an experience in Visual Studio.NET, you may only need Vision development module which has an extensive libraries for particle analysis as requested. This would save you the cost of buying a LABVIEW license.

Hope it helps

Waleed El-Badry MSc.,MCPD, ISTQB Certified Tester
Assistant Lecturer
Mechatronics Department
Faculty of Engineering
Misr University for Science & Technology

View Waleed El-Badry's profile on LinkedIn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,842 Views)

Hello Chris,

It is possible to use other languages to interface with the Vision Development Module, however, on a deadline, some users would prefer to use LabVIEW.

By using a valid license of LabVIEW and the LabVIEW Vision Development Module you are part of the Standard Service Program which means direct support via phone and email on your complete application.

If you own only LabVIEW Vision Development Module, support is only available for that module's functions and interfacing with VB.  Custom Examples in VB for you specific project will most likely not be available from the support team.

However, please consider the option that is right for you, your time frame, and your experience.  As I mentioned, calling in to your local branch should help.

Good luck with your application,

George T.
Senior Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK and Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,825 Views)