Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB camera configuration parameters

Good afternoon.
I have installed LabVIEW 7.1 and Vision 7.1. Since i'll be working with a Webcam, i downloaded the NI IMAQ for USB cameras and installed it. The problem is that i can't make the camera work with LabVIEW, and when i launch Vision Assistant 7.1, and try to acquire image from the usb camera, it tells me that the camera parameters are invalid. I appreciate all the help you can give me.
Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(5,602 Views)

It's true that you can't use Vision Assistant or Vision Builder with this camera.  But that doesn't mean that you can't use it.

Here is what I did in a similar situation.  I built a tiny LabVIEW program that took a sample image.  I then built a Vision Assistant program to do what i wanted for the camera, but do it just for that image (filter, match pattern, etc).  Then, when I was close, I converted it to LabVIEW and put it with the LabVIEW VI I had originally used and fine tuned everything. 

It's kind of the long way around, but you can get there.

Hope that this helps,

Bob Young

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(5,590 Views)
The thing is that, in one of the computers of the lab, if i do exactly the same process i explained above, the Vision Assistant doesn't show me any error at all, and i can use the IMAQ VI's under LabVIEW without any problems. I don't know if i'm not installing the Vision software correctly or if i'm missing a component. I can't work in the computer where it works correctly because there's already someone else working on another project.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(5,586 Views)

Have you gone into the License Manager and entered the serial number/license info for NI Vision?  Maybe that is the problem.

If that isn't it, could you be more specific with what the problem is?  What error message comes up, what VIs are missing, anything like that would be helpful.

Hope that this helps,

Bob Young

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(5,581 Views)
Indeed, it was a problem with the license i was using, it was installed incorrectly. Now i can work with the webcam without any problems. Thank you very much!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(5,581 Views)

Just FYI.  The NI-IMAQ for USB Cameras is designed to work with LabVIEW 7.1 and Vision Assistant.  It does not work with Vision Builder AI.  Also, because the driver is free, it is not officially or directly supported by National Instruments. 

But that will never stop the NI community from helping each other out!

Thanks!

Kyle V

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(5,579 Views)
I stand corrected.  It will work with Vision Assistant, it won't work for Vision Builder.

Sorry about that,
Bob Young

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(5,579 Views)

Hello, I am fernando mora from spain, i have a problem with my usb camera, i have a quick cam express, logitech, and i can not cmunicate it with the vision asistant, I have installed the imaq for usb, and the error message says: The settings for this camera are not valid.

I am new with labview and imaq and i dont know how to change the camera parameters.

My camera is compatible with directshow.

I have all direct show dll libraries

I have registered the vision and the vision assistant  7.1

I have registered the labview 7.1 but no the remotecontrolpanel, is this important, here i only have a evaluation version, yellow light

I m working in my degree project and i need some help

I ask too for the studient lebview version, do it include the vision assistant?

Fernando Mora Torrijo
Spanish studient
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(5,394 Views)

Hello Fernando,

As you know, we do not officially support usb camera programming; however, I would like to be able to help. I cannot think of any reason it would not work. I am under the assumption that all "Direct Show" usb cameras will work with the unofficial driver we provide on our website. I will see if I can find that type of usb camera around the office, but I am not very confident that I will find it. If I do, I will be sure to let you know that I discover when I try to communicate with it. Take care!

Regards,

Aaron B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(5,366 Views)
Thank you

I dont know what is the problem, i m a spanish studient and i try to implement a atificial vision system, i have tried wit another cam, a Genius VideoCAM NB and i have the same problem, some questions:

Could be de OS Windows XP SP2
Could be the yellow light in the remote panel connection license
The program say that the settings for the camera are invalid, can i change them

I hava a lot of problems, i want to demostrate in my project than with a cheap cam we can reach a good vision.

The cameras are usb 1.1 no usb 2.0

I cant run another aplications for labview for the same purpose, another .vi for reach a image from a usb camera

The cameras are cheap webcams only 20 Euros
I work in a laptop a HP Compaq7010

Fernando Mora Torrijo
Spanish studient
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(5,365 Views)