cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

detect cracks in solar cells

Solved!
Go to solution

hello,

Iam using vision assistant 8.5,labview 8.6,my requirement is to find the cracks in solar cell,can any one suggest me a solution,iam sending the sample image

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,437 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author 9949633612

Your first task is to obtain an image with a difference in contrast between crack and 'good' surface. Did you mean to attach an image? There wasn't one.

Depending on the construction of your solar cells and the stage in the manufacturing process you're at, it might be worth exploring what IR lighting can do for you.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,423 Views)

One successful technique for imaging cracks and other defects in solar cells is to use a SWIR camera (short wave infrared), see http://www.sensorsinc.com/photovoltaics.html.  Note: the SWIR technology is not inexpensive.

Robert Eastlund
Graftek Imaging, Inc.
Phone: (512) 416-1099 x101
Email: eastlund@graftek.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,417 Views)

Darkfield illumination is often used to enchance surface defects or contamination, it may be of use in this situation.

I thought I read somewhere that applying a voltage to a solar cell makes it emit IR radiation, not sure if that is true, but it may make crack detection straightforward.

One thing to consider is how big the cell is versus how small a crack you need to detect. This will drive your camera lens selection and you may have to translate the cell under the lens if the cracks are small compared to the area you are imaging.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,405 Views)

Very illuminating, my memory served me correctly. And they always said I was the dimmest solar cell in the panel 🙂

http://www.physorg.com/news154013791.html

-AK2DM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,402 Views)

Thanq for ur suggestion sir,Iam sending the image.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,390 Views)

Than q for ur suggession,I cannot do Darkfield illumination forward bias cannot be given,as the solar cell string comes out of the tabber which contains 10cells in a string,the string is picked by the robot and placed on alignment plate where it is mechanical alignment.here i have to take image of cells and inspect for cracks,this is an open environment,after inspection robot has to place down to form matrix of cells.iam sending the image of cracked cell

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,386 Views)

Not an Ni solution, but I came across this today in Vision Systems Design for detecting cracks and defects in crystalline solar cells:

http://www.sensopart.com/article-95-Solar_Sensor_With_Sharp_Focus.html

-AK2DM

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,304 Views)

It happens that I work in this industry and have once attended a trade fair for such kind of equipment. There is tons of different companies offering solutions to detect cracks and the like. Most do simple vision inspection (on a wide range of cracks and notches).

However, if you need to get other failure mechanisms (micro-cracks) as well, you need EL (electroluminescense), PL (photoluminescence) at least.

Best results you would get with a ILIT (infrared lock-in thermography). I don't know about the availability of these tools for in-line operation (*)

The other solution, but very slow is to use a LBIC (light beam induced current).

* If you are going to head for this, you should check the papers of O. Breitenstein. In one of the links posted above one of his papers is referenced. He is the 'pope' of ILIT. If you need a commercially available system, check my company's website (see my signature).

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,238 Views)

any one can give some more suggestions

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,060 Views)