Mass Compilers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What topics would you like to cover in this user group?

LVOOP?  Design patterns? Source code control?  FPGA? Certification?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(13,699 Views)

Programming tips and tricks, interesting reuse routines, unusual implementations, intersting problem solving examples

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(8,653 Views)

(Possible specific discussion topics...)  Architectures for highly modular or expandable applications;  Coverting an existing application/architecture to employ LVOOP;  Application UI development techniques.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(8,653 Views)

Agile Development with LabVIEW (and other tools!), Actor Framework, VI Scripting, Perchance a Coding Challenge (We should train with the singular goal of dethroaning Darren Nattinger as worlds fastes programmer at NI Week 2013)?

Message 4 of 10
(8,653 Views)

Managing code reuse across multiple: developers, projects, LV versions.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(8,653 Views)

I have lots of experience developing tests using text based languages but I have only been using LabVIEW for about 9 months. I have been learning from a borrowed text book and on-line searches but mostly learning by doing, so there are probably some tricks of the trade that I am not aware of.  Perhaps a summary of best practices would be helpful along with common mistakes to avoid.

Object oriented programming in LabVIEW is something I have not done and I would like to learn more. I have used OOP with text languages (mostly PERL and Python) so I am familiar with the concepts, but I would like to learn how to use these concepts in LabVIEW.

Suggestions for learning more: recommend books or websites.

Managing code within projects - things to consider.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(8,653 Views)

Good suggestions.  I am going to create a new poll for the group and put some of your ideas for topics on it.  Hopefully it will help to vet out what people are most interested in.

In particular I think the idea of software engineering practices with LabVIEW is a great one.  A presentation covering things like source code control, requirements tracking, issue tracking, code reviews, unit testing... would probably be useful for most people in the group.

One idea I had kicking around was to hold a supplemental meeting in between the regularly scheduled ones.  These meetings could be dedicated to either more advanced, or more basic topics.  We have a wide range of experience levels within the group, which is great, but can make it difficult to select content that everbody can find useful.  Would anybody be interested in a supplemental meeting focusing on either an advanced topic like LVOOP, or a more basic LabVIEW ramp-up for people just getting started?

As for books and websites; the two books I found most helpful while trying to become a better developer were (to be read in this order)

1. A Software Engineering Approach to LabVIEW: http://www.amazon.com/Software-Engineering-Approach-LabVIEW/dp/0130093653

2. The LabVIEW Style Book: http://www.amazon.com/LabVIEW-Style-Book-Peter-Blume/dp/0131458353/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=13...

Your best resources on the web will be the NI forums/community pages, and LAVA: http://lavag.org/.

Thanks,

Jon

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(8,653 Views)

I have added a poll, if you would like me to add a new option reply to this thread and I will make sure it gets added.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(8,653 Views)

Design patterns

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(8,653 Views)

I'd be interested in hearing how/if people are using the Unit Test Framework.  I've tried to mess around with it a few times but it hasn't "clicked" yet.  It would be good to see a real world example of how people use it besides the generic "does 2+2=4" test...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(8,653 Views)