cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to register cwui.ocx in Windows 7

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, 

I'm having trouble installing cwui.ocx (from Measurement Studio) in Windows 7. The software for our product was developed with Measurement Studio for Visual Basic V. 6. When I try to run it in Windows 7, I get the message "Can't load (or register) custom control cwui.ocx".  My software, including cwui.ocx, installs and runs correctly in Windows XP.

SETUP.LST specifies the path as follows: 

File21+1,,cwui.oc_,cwui.ocx,$(WinSysPath),,$(Shared),8/1/2001,2301952,66.0.3.589

Any suggestions for a fix for Windows 7 would be appreciated.  

Thanks,

Richard 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(29,791 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hochschild

Howdy Richard,

I copied over the cwui.ocx (and its dependencies), from MStudio 8.1.2.143 to a machine with Windows 7 installed. I then manually tried registering the ActiveX control using Regsvr32.exe cwui.ocx. It failed with errors if I did not run the command prompt as an administrator; once I ran the command prompt as an administrator and then registered the ActiveX with administrative access, it registered properly. Thus, I believe this's a permissions issue.

cwui-activex-control-registering.png

Confirm that you're running all of this with Administrative privileges (Windows 7 is very particular about its permissions for each program), and I bet that's the culprit.

cwui-activex-control-registering-success.png

Warm regards,

pBerg
Message 2 of 6
(29,767 Views)

Hello pBerg,

Your suggestion (in reply to  my inquiry about how to install cwui.ocx) worked perfectly. I really appreciate the help.

With thanks,

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(29,745 Views)
My pleasure, Richard. Have a good one!
Warm regards,

pBerg
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(29,725 Views)

@pBerg wrote:

Howdy Richard,

I copied over the cwui.ocx (and its dependencies), from MStudio 8.1.2.143 to a machine with Windows 7 installed. I then manually tried registering the ActiveX control using Regsvr32.exe cwui.ocx. It failed with errors if I did not run the command prompt as an administrator; once I ran the command prompt as an administrator and then registered the ActiveX with administrative access, it registered properly. Thus, I believe this's a permissions issue.

cwui-activex-control-registering.png

Confirm that you're running all of this with Administrative privileges (Windows 7 is very particular about its permissions for each program), and I bet that's the culprit.

cwui-activex-control-registering-success.png

Hi

I'm having the same problem with another *.ocx file. Could you tell me how I can check the its dependencies before copy pasting it?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(23,574 Views)

there's a program i use called dll explorer to find dependencies.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(21,298 Views)