Measurement Studio for VC++

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measurement studio 2019 C++ possible?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey, I am looking into how I can use NI DAQ equipment with C++ and I found two alternatives: Measurement Studio or implement the drivers directly into a C++ project.

I am focusing on the former in this post: How compatible is measurement studio, for Visual Studio 2019, with C++? As I understand it is not possible because MFC is legacy since 2010?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,243 Views)

Also I found this particular piece of information: https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/ni-daqmx/page/daqhelp/measstudioapp.html

That seems to indicate C++ is possible, prehaps even past 2010 since the document was updated in 2023? However I have a hard time finding anything c++-related in the help page when I follow the instructions.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,236 Views)

DAQmx is a normal C API. Nothing about it is C++-ish. So you won't find any C++ related documentation. But C++ can of course perfectly call C APIs so just go through the DAQmx online help here and then move over to the related C Documentation for DAQmx. That's all you should need to be ready to start rocking.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,167 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daddedebad

Thanks for your reply. It did not quite answer my question. Maybe I should not have mentioned the latter part you answered to because it is not the main topic, my brain got a bit fried from having looked at every source I could find on this subject so I mentioned it, maybe mostly to myself, to make sure that I already know about using the NI C-drivers in C++. But I want to know if MS can work in C++.

Some say yes-ish to this as if it was obvious which makes me unsure if they actually are talking about MS in C++ or just NI c-drivers in C++ in general. The link from NI I provided seems to state MS in C++ is possible? How, I cannot find the help manual for visual C++ as they mentioned. Projects can only be created in C# or VB. From what I understand there used to be a way with MFC legacy but it's gone since 2010.

In the end I skipped Measurement Studio and used the C-drivers with QT instead as GUI... It is not the direct solution to my question but this is what ended up happening in this instance because it seems too uncommon to work with MS in C++ even if it is stated as an option by NI themselves.

It would be nice to use NI's tools more but with QT I am not relying on a tool that I'm not sure how well maintained it will be and seems to be a bit uncommon.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,132 Views)

Measurement Studio is a set of libraries and tools that provide an easy-to-use interface for acquiring, analyzing, and presenting data from National Instruments DAQ hardware. Measurement Studio supports various programming languages, including C++.

Measurement Studio provides a set of libraries that can be used directly in your C++ projects to interface with National Instruments DAQ hardware. These libraries are designed to work with both MFC and non-MFC applications. However, MFC is not a requirement to use Measurement Studio in your C++ project.

Regarding your concern about MFC being legacy, it is true that Microsoft has shifted its focus away from MFC in recent years. However, MFC is still supported in Visual Studio 2019, and you can still use MFC with Measurement Studio if you wish.

In summary, Measurement Studio is compatible with C++ and supports both MFC and non-MFC applications. So, you can use it to interface with National Instruments DAQ hardware in your C++ project without any issues.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,928 Views)