Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Robot Hardware Recipe

Hello,

Can anyone give us details of the Hardware components required for the subject as shown in the link below:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-7071#comment-16672

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(7,927 Views)

Still no response? Strange 😞

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(7,767 Views)

Are you looking to build your own from scratch? The delta arm shown in the link you referenced was built from scratch as a one off demo: there are now sufficient options from several robotics companies for delta robotic systems that may be of interest to you:

http://www.robots.com/blog.php?tag=452

The NI Delta robot used 3 AKM brushless servo motors from Kollmorgen, and Copley Accelnet Servo Drives. I would recommend going with an AKD brushless servo drive from Kollmorgen as well if I were to design the system today: the sizing will depend on the size of your system and your move requirements.The mechanicals were designed in SolidWorks, and built either in house here at NI, or outsourced to a machine shop. I'm not sure what type of limit switched were used, but the arm is instrumented with limits to safeguard against overtravel.  

Are you looking to implement your own machine? What's the application? 

Cheers!

Nate

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(7,763 Views)
Nate !!! Thanks for the response. Trust me, I have
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(7,757 Views)

Nate !!! Thaks for the response. We have been searching and searching for one source for these robots but ultimately we concluded that designing one from scratch is the only option. In fact, we have successfully implement a delta robot using commercial components and now we want to make it industrial grade.

Our application is rotation invariant dynamic / intermittent pick and place for the packaging industry. The initial size we are looking for is the same as shown in the link i referenced. The maximum payload (max. weight of the object) is not more than 500 gms.

Having said that, i will highly appreciate if you could elaborate a little more on the components you suggested? Their model numbers etc.? Ideally, we look for a wish list of control components (servo controllers, drives, motors, main controller i.e. cRIO etc.) other than mechanical items such as arms etc. that we can build locally and limit switches for controlling over travel should be no issue for us.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(7,756 Views)

I was able to dig up the parts list, glean what you will from it. It's got all the key parts, as well as all the not so key parts Smiley Happy

Just out of curiosity, are you using Vision as well for the machine (vision guided motion)? I've been looking for good examples of vision guided motion requirements and level of integration desired. 

Best Regards, 

Nate

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(7,738 Views)

Dear Nate,

Thanks for the details. Vision is an integral part of the solution. We will be using absolute encoders mapped to the motion profile of the conveyor / delta robot. In our prototype, we used Vision for part location and Delta Robot carrying out the desired tasks at a later stage on the same conveyor. Everything (vision / motion) was managed using a single Quad Core PC. We wanted to implement the same strategy using NI components, however, with the cRIO doing the motion control part, the control strategy may change a little bit now.

I have a few questions:

1- The section "ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS" mention some electrical components like motors / gear heads / Copley Control Motion Drives etc. Are they available on NI's website for purchase? You suggested swapping Copley Control Motion Drives with Kollmorgen's. Can you please give us the specific model replacement compatible with the Danaher Motors / NI Servo Controllers you mentioned?

2- Regarding the Danaher Motors mentioned in the "ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS" section, do they have built in feedback? How does the drive calculate the angular position of the motor shaft?

For any queries regarding Vision, i wonder if i can give you my email address here for the details?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(7,729 Views)

Hi, 

Sounds good, if you provide your email, we can continue this discussion via that medium. 

Cheers,

Nate

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(7,727 Views)

Ok, please email me at:

<email address removed>

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(7,723 Views)

I've removed the email address from the above post to help prevent SPAM.

Another way to communicate privately is to send a private message - you can find the option on the profile page of the person you would like to contact, under the Contact box.  You can access your pivate message inbox using the small envelope icon in the right hand corner of the page.

Thanks,

Laura

NI Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(7,710 Views)