Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error 70219 when running testing reference move to find center

I have a cRIO system with two 9512s, forward and reverse limit switches for both motors, no Home limit switch. I am using the enable/disable line.

I am able to move both motors using the axis "Interactive Test Panel"

I can then run simple VIs that use SoftMotion blocks to do the following things:

* Testing Reference Move to find FWD Limit and to find REV Limit

* Testing Straight line Move both relative and absolute

However, when I try to test Reference Move - Home (center option), I get the following error:

"error -70219

occurred at Find Reference Move when Executing start on pitch: 10

Possible Reasons:

The move stopped because an axis exceeded the programmed position error limit. Verify the feedback resource connection and/or tune your motor."

What might be causing this? Why is it that I can move the motor using the Interactive test panel and the straight line move or the find limit switches, but I can not find center?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Fabiola 

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,542 Views)
Below is more information on the axis configuration that we have. Since the error stated that a possible reason was that "the axis had exceeded the programmed position error limit." I enabled the "Enforce Position Error limit" and set it to 1000.00 in. Our system can only move -10 in to 10 in. Still got the same error.

I tried with the Shipping Example "Reference-Move-Center.vi" and I got the following error:
"error -77052 occurred at Find Reference Move when Executing Start on Pitch.:4" 

Possible Reason(s):
Start motion is blocked because of following error. Verify the axis feedback and control, and then execute a halt stop before starting the move.

Complete call chain:
    nimc.getLastErrorOnInterface.vi:1
    nimc.fb.findReferenceMove.StartReferenceMove.axis.modeCenter.vi:Reference Move-center.vi"

I opened the interactive test panels and the error there was:
"-70229
A function call made to the motion controller timed out waiting for a response to an executed command."

Any tips on what to try next will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fabiola 

____ 
Here is more information on the axis configuration:

The axis is configured  

Axis Setup:
  General Tab:
  Axis Enabled CHECKED
      Enable Drive on Transition to Active Mode CHECKED

Display Units (from Encoder)
  Distance - in
  Velocity - in/s
  Acceleration - in/s2

Type: Stepper
  Loop Mode: Open-Loop
  Feedback type: Encoder 0
  Watchdog Timeout: 1

Velocity threshold: 3 in/s

Velocity filter settings: 
  Filter Time: 0ms (disabled)
  Filter Distance: 0 Units (disabled)

Move Complete Criteria:
  Everything unchecked

Spline Settings tab:
  Cubic B Spline

Output:

Units: in
  Steps per in: 80000

Output mode: CW/CCW

Output type: differential

Active State: High

Open-Loop:

Enforce Position Error Limit: Not checked

Limits:
  Forward Limit:
  Enable CHECKED
  Input type: Sourcing
  Active State: On
  Stop Mode: Decelerate
  Digital Filter: 50us

Reverse Limit:
  the same as above

Home:
  Home Switch UNCHECKED

Drive Signals
  Drive Enable: CHECKED
  Output Type: SOURCING
  Active State: On
  Safe State: Off

Compare & Capture: (we don't know what it refers too, 

used default values)

Software Limits: 
  Fwd. Software Limit Enable UNCHECKED
  Rev. Software Limit Enable UNCHECKED

values)

Digital I/O
    Input: Not Mapped
    Output: Bot Mapped

Encoder 0 Settings:
    Units: in
    Counts Per in:  16000  (based on 4000 counts/rev)
    Encoder Velocity: 500000

Index Reference Criteria:
    Inactive A & B CHECKED

Active State
    Line State High for A, B and Index CHECKED

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,524 Views)

Hello Fabiola,

Are you working with a shipping example to find center or is it your own code? 

I would suggest looking into NI Example Finder > Toolkits and Modules > Motion Control > NI SoftMotion > Basic > Reference Move - Center.lvproj to see if you are still seeing the same error using the example.

Andy Chang
National Instruments
LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,523 Views)

Hi Andy,

I added a reply to my first message with more information about the axis configuration. I tried with the Shipping Example "Reference-Move-Center.vi"

I wanted to remove my code out of the equation.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information besides what I added in my reply to my original post.

Thanks and best regards,

Fab 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,521 Views)

Fabiola - 

Can you verify which version of LabVIEW and SoftMotion you are using? There was an issue with this error in SoftMotion 2009 that was fixed with Service Pack 1. If you are not using SoftMotion SP1, please update and this should resolve your issue. You can run SM 2009 SP1 without having to update LabVIEW to SP1. 

Marc 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,493 Views)

Marc,

I just verified in the NI License Manager, and we have "NI SoftMotion Module Standard 2009 SP1"

so, that is not the problem 😞

Thanks,

Fab 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,489 Views)
First of all, I don't consider the problem 100% solved, because I no longer know what solved the problem. Once I got it working, I was not able to reproduce the problem!!! I am afraid it will rear its ugly face in the future (more than likely in the worst time 😉 )

Mainly I changed two things:
- Configured the limit switches to stop immediately instead of decelerate
- Reduced the speed, acceleration/deceleration and jerk
And I kept the stepper on open loop and made sure that I was not enabling the "Enforce Position Error Limit"

Like I said, I tried changing the values and settings back to what I had before and I did get other errors but never again the same error (70219).

The reason changing the limit switch configuration to "immediate" stop helped with making the "Reference-Move-Center.vi" shipping example work was that when the system was looking for the limit switches it would go beyond them (because it was decelerating). That would cause that if the system was moving forward, it would start decelerating when it found the fwd limit switch. Then it would start moving in reverse, but it would encounter the forward limit switch (because it had gone beyond it during deceleration) and that would cause an error, because the system was expecting the Reverse limit switch not the Forward limit switch.

I hope this makes sense and if you do get your hands on a stepper motor and you are able to reproduce the error 70219, I would appreciate if you share with me what caused it and what makes it go away for sure.

Thanks and best regards,
Fabiola

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,455 Views)

Fabiola - 

Did you ever get the situation solved?

I did find that with the Property / Invoke node beta API, there's an issue of having a straight line move reference open when trying to do a find reference move. Gives error -70216. Closing the line reference while doing the find reference move is the work-around. Often it's not a problem because homing is performed before doing any moves.

Do you perform any homing and line move in the same sequence? Are you using the Function Blocks or Property / Invoke node API?  

Marc 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,423 Views)

Marc,

Like I said before, it is solved for now, but I am not 100% confident, because I no longer know what solved it. I haven't been able to reproduce it.

In my own application I was performing a straight line move to get the vehicle closer to center and within the valid limit switches region. But when we started posting on the forum we were only working with the shipping example. So the only movement being performed was the reference move to center.

We are using the Function Blocks for now. I use the Property/invoke API to understand what is happening "behind the scenes", but I haven't moved my code to use the API, because I don't want to break what is already working 😉

After not seeing error 70219, I simplified the homing section of the code to only perform a reference move to center. If the user sees that the vehicle is not obviously at center, then he/she can use a joystick to bring the vehicle closer to center. This happens if the vehicle is beyond the limit switches. Then the reference move to center is attempted again and so far this has worked with no errors.

Thanks for looking into this and I will try to keep my homing and line move in different sequences 🙂

Fab 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,420 Views)

how do you solve the 70229 error???

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,253 Views)