Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accuracy at lower than full scale

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi. I am using a NI-USB 6255 for differential voltage measurements. I am running it at the lowest voltage scale: 0.1V. From the specification (https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/pci-pxi-usb-6255-specs/page/specs.html) I can see how to calculate the absolute accuracy at full scale. However, I am mostly measuring voltages down to 0.1mV, which is just one thousandth of the full scale. At these voltages the absolute error is relatively huge. Is there some way to calculate an absolute accuracy at a lower voltage to get a better accuracy? I would expect the absolute accuracy to be lower at lower voltages.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(114 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author r.tollund

In short, at worst, your reading in 0.1V range is +/-52uV

santo_13_0-1713459032687.png

• TempChangeFromLastExternalCal = 10 °C
  • TempChangeFromLastInternalCal = 1 °C
  • number_of_readings = 100
  • CoverageFactor = 3 σ

To get more accurate abs error for a reading in 0.1V, here is an example for 0.05V reading in 0.1V range,

• GainError = 150 ppm + 13 ppm · 1 + 1 ppm · 10 = 163 ppm
  • OffsetError = 150 ppm + 21 ppm · 1 + 60 ppm = 131 ppm
  • NoiseUncertainty =  15uV * 3 / 100 = 4.5 µV
  • AbsoluteAccuracy = 0.05 V · (GainError) + 0.1V · (OffsetError) + NoiseUncertainty = +/- 25.8 µV

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 2
(86 Views)