cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device name changed but still communicating with the same device

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi!

I have two 6501 NIDAQs that I'm using in two different PCBA test equipments. The names I've given them are "Dev1" and "Dev2".  For some reason they can't be plugged into the same computer at the same time (USB), since my LabView/TestStand application doesn't seem to be able to tell the one from the other.

If I run my first test, using Dev1, and later try to run the second test, now using Dev2, my DAQAssistant - even though I can see that Dev2 is sent to its "DeviceName" - still is communicating with Dev1.

Now, if I unplug either one of them and then run any of the tests, it will crash because of "unnamed task". If I then go to NI Max and just click "Create Task..." and the cancel, it will work until I plug in the other device and disconnect my current one. I now will have to repeat the "Create Task..." step to get my new device to work properly.

Is there anyone who has had a similar problem and have been able to solve it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,723 Views)

Hi,

If you create a task in MAX (or DAQAssistant) it also saves device info with that task.

For example: Lets say you create a "Voltage" task with device "Dev1"; you then connect "Dev2". The "Voltage" task won't be able to use "Dev2" because it has "Dev1" channels assigned to it.

The solutions would be:

• create separate tasks for Dev1 and Dev2 and decide in your program which to use,
  • put both devices in one task and simply ignore the data from the other one,
  • use the option to generate DAQmx code and select physical channels each time you start your tests.

These are some of the options of the top of my head, there are probably more.

Best regards

Matej

/* A smart device is only as smart (stupid) as its programmer. */
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,712 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author _KL_

Hi

Thanks for the help.

It turns out the problem was the TestStand load option. If I choose to unload every step after the execution of the sequence file, the problem is solved.

Regards

Kristian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,703 Views)

Hi,

Just an update; I'm not sure the second solution will work. I tried something similar and it didn't.

Matej

/* A smart device is only as smart (stupid) as its programmer. */
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,677 Views)