Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to watchdog an 1163R

I would like to insure the 1163R output goes low should a system crash take place.  I recently started using a USB 6525 for some systems so I could use the chassis slot for other items. Because of a timing issue I discovered the watchdog capability of the USB 6525 and developed my application to watch the device and go to a low state as a fail safe.  This watchdog would be useful on the systems using the 1163R but it appears this is not supported by the device. Since the device is never in the high state for over 500 milliseconds at a time the risk is low but still possible to have a system crash at just the wrong time.

Currently I am using a simulated 1163R on my development and getting the device not supported error. After checking documentation I do not see a watchdog timer mentioned which supports the message I get on the simulated device.  Short of the watchdog timer are there methods using the 1163R to insure the hardware goes to a safe state in case of computer failure?

Thanks,

Randall

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,887 Views)

Hi Randall,

Unfortunately we don't spec our devices for non powered states and you're correct that the 1163R doesn't support a watchdog timer. An option would be to implement external circuitry that disconnects the 1163R in the event of a crash. 

-Jayk

RF R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,869 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,838 Views)