Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PCIe-6251 with Labview 7.1

We just bought a PCIe-6251 and we were trying to use it with a program we had previously written.  The program keeps giving us the error code "Error -10401 occurred at AO Group Config" and I narrowed it down to the config part of both our analog input and analog output.  To rewrite the program for DAQ Assistant will require a significant effort and I was hoping there was possible a lower level driver or something for the card such that the card will be able to be configured by these older commands.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,126 Views)
The card uses the NI -DAQmx driver instead of the NI-DAQ driver. The DAQmx driver is the low level driver you are searching for and it is avalibale in LV 7.1. Just download the driver package that accompanied your hardware.
Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,118 Views)
Okay, well I messed around with that most of the day.  I already had NI-DAQmx 8.7.1 installed when it wasn't working.  I reinstalled LV 7.1 and had it install NI-DAQmx 7.2, which doesn't recognize the card because the card is too new.  Then I upgraded to NI-DAQmx 8.1 and it recognizes the card, but has internal errors in the Measurement and Automation center.  It doesn't seem to want to run without NI-DAQmx 8.6 or later.  Any other ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,104 Views)

Hello,

I am curious to know why you re-installed LabVIEW 7.1 and loaded DAQmx 7.2, when you previously already had DAQmx 8.7.1.  I just want to make sure I am not missing an application preference or requirement.  The 8.7.1 version of DAQmx had additional features and some known issue fixes compared to the older 7.2 or 8.1 DAQmx driver.  I would recommend going back to 8.7.1 for upgrade convenience, since you are already going to take some time to upgrade the code from Traditional NI-DAQ to NI-DAQmx … why not program with the newest released DAQmx driver.

I have also linked some widely used and very helpful documentation for upgrading applications from Traditional NI-DAQ to NI-DAQmx driver.  The DAQmx driver does have lower level programming that will be more like your structure in Traditional NI-DAQ in comparison to the DAQ Assistant.  The DAQ Assistant is an Express VI that trades low level programming for a user interface that does not require much programming experience.  It sounds like you would prefer not using the DAQ Assistant Express VI and using the DAQmx functions instead. 

The DAQmx functions are located Functions palette Measurement I/O section and then NI-DAQmx.  These functions will not be use exactly similar to the Traditional NI-DAQ programming structure.  However, the linked documentation will help with this transition or National Instruments support can also assist with some of your questions.  I realize that I linked more than a couple of links, so I listed them in order of preference. 

Developer Zone Tutorials:

Transition from Traditional NI-DAQ to NI-DAQmx in LabVIEW

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about NI-DAQmx and Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy)

Getting Started with NI-DAQmx: Getting Started with NI-DAQmx Programming in LabVIEW

Getting Started with NI-DAQmx: Basic Programming with NI-DAQmx

Advantages of NI-DAQmx

Samantha
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,080 Views)
I reinstalled because that was what it seemed the previous poster was suggesting.  Anyway, it is still not working.  When Labwindows/CVI 8.1 tries to configure itself for the Measurement and Automation system, it keeps giving me an error 1719 in the Windows Installer.  I tried googling this error and fixing but to no avail.  Nothing else seems to be having an issue with Windows Installer so I'm pretty sure it's not that.  Anyway, any help would be very appreciated.

Dan
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,044 Views)

Hello,

I am a little confused.  I thought you had Labview 7.1 and previously written code using the Traditional NI-DAQ driver, but now have the PCIe 6251 which only works with the NI-DAQmx driver.  So I thought you were looking at rewriting the Traditional NI-DAQ code with the NI-DAQmx driver.  

I recommended using the 8.7.1 version of NI-DAQmx and the linked documentation for help with upgrading the code.  Are you still interested in upgrading the code for Labview 7.1 using the NI-DAQmx driver.

Now you are referring to Labwindows/CVI 8.1 with error 1719.  Are you in the process of installing Labwindows/CVI now?  I would suggest first looking at the NI KnowledgeBase linked below and if no success either send in the log file or look to the Windows KnowledgeBase for a common fix provided by Windows.

NI KnowledgeBase: Internet Explorer Requirements When Installing LabWindows/CVI

Window KnowledgeBase: Error message when you try to add or remove a program on a computer that is ru...

Samantha
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,005 Views)

Samantha,

I have already tried everything in the Microsoft Knowledgebase.  I had already looked there before reposting about the error.  I had this same problem the first time I installed Labview 7.1 but I somehow managed to fix it that time.  However, after the reinstall, it is doing it again and I'm not sure how I got it to stop the first time.  Everytime I try to open Labview or the Measurement & Automation Explorer, it tries to "configure" Labwindows/CVI 8.1, then it asks to restart the computer, kicks an error 1719, and then restarts.  After the restart, it tries to do it again.  It's very frustrating and I cannot get it to stop.  How do I make a log file of this?  I'm not really sure how to log something like this.  Please let me know and I'll send you the file.

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,002 Views)

I just "repaired" the NI-DAWmx 8.7.1 driver and it seems to have fixed the problem with Labwindows/CVI 8.1.  I'm going to work on the converstion stuff now and I'll let you know how that goes.  Thanks for the help so far and you can disregard the previous post.

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,997 Views)