Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can I not perform continuous sampling of port 0 on USB 6216?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a USB 6216 from NI. I'm trying to capture digital signals using port 0. However, the only mode I can operate in is On Demand sampling. If I select N Samples or Continuous Sampling, I receive the following error in both SignalExpress and Labview 2011's DAQ assistant. What am I not doing correctly?

Error -200077 occurred at DAQ Assistant

Possible Reason(s):

Requested value is not a supported value for this property. The property value may be invalid because it conflicts with another property.

Property: SampTimingType
Requested Value: Sample Clock
You Can Select: On Demand

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,447 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Xooch

Since the 6216 does not have a sample clock for the digital I/O as you can see from reading the spec, any time you attempt to use one, you will get that error message. So, in LabVIEW, every time you want to do a read, you must call a single DAQmx Read set to single sample mode (or the DAQ Assistant configured the same way). How many samples/second you take are going to be highly variable due to windows being non-deterministic.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,441 Views)

That is just a limitation of the USB6216.  It's DIO are only software timed, which mean they only sample when your program requests data and only one sample per request.  You need to find a DAQ or DIO that supports hardware timed DIO.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 4
(4,438 Views)

Looks like I'll have to sample as analog inputs and detect levels... Thanks for the quick responses.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,435 Views)