From 11:00 PM CDT Friday, May 10 – 02:30 PM CDT Saturday, May 11 (04:00 AM UTC – 07:30 PM UTC), ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Labs Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECG Signal Filtering

How you guys doing ?

Well to put it bluntly , i just need some help right here , i hope you can cooperate guys .

I am working on a thesis for my final year project . and i am using labview in it, but i am facing some dificulties .

I have implemented an ECG circuit that detedts the tiny electrical impulses of the human heart . I am trying to acquire the ECG signal via serial port in order to display it using labview .

I did it . but i am experiencing some dificulties while designing the filters . I have implemented buterworth filters with 10-25 HZ as low and high cutoff frequencies. i have also used so many ways but none of them had helped .

Could you please suggest anything useful ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you

Bill David

Bill David
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,436 Views)

Hi Bill,

I just want to quickly point you to a couple of resources where you are more likely to get assistance with your questions. There are several similar discussion and a lot of knowledgeable users within the Biomedical User Group. The NI Discussion Forums are another option. There is a very active community on the forums and you will likely see a very quick response to your questions.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt
NI Community Team
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,692 Views)

Thanl you Matt for the reply yes i will follow the links hoping that i get some help .

Again thank you .

Bill David
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,692 Views)

Can you post your code?  I can take a look at it if you like.  You can also send it to my email in my profile if you would prefer.

Randall Pursley
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,692 Views)

Dear friend

i would love to attach my VI to have a look at it but the web browser that i am using is not allowing me to attach any file . can you please provide me some filtering techniques samples taht i can find useful in my application ?

I wanted to use the discrete wavelet transform to denoise the signal . but just need some instructions to follow in order to denoise my signal .

Thanks alot .

Bill David

Bill David
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,692 Views)

Well, a 10 Hz low cutoff seems really high for ECG.  If this is in humans, ECG usually ranges between 1 and 2 Hz repetition rate with a minmum bandwidth of about 20 Hz to get a good representation of the signal.  A low cutoff around 0.1 Hz might be more appropriate to remove baseline drift.  Sampling rate of about 50 Hz would good enough for ECG, but I don't know what kind of noise sources you are trying to filter out.  Do you have a hardware filter built into your ECG detection circuit.  If so, what is the cutoff of that circuit?

Randall Pursley
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,692 Views)

Dear friend thank you for the very fast reply

YES i do have a filter in my built circuit . I actually used a second order low passive filter with cutoff frequency of 15.9 HZ . now when trying to acquire the signal via  serial port the QRS COMPLEX could be distinguished from the signal . I mean they 25 % appear in the signal . but it seems that noises are disturbing the signal .

Talking about the kind of noise I am dealing with I am sure that even ECG's that you can find in clinics and hospitals give you a signal with baseline wandering . this is the first noise i am facing . and we do not have a doubt the power line interference .

I JUST need  a specialized filter design to obtain readable ECG signal with clean QRS complex.

any suggestions

REGARDS

Bill David
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,692 Views)

Do you have the Wavelet Analysis toolkit, or are you planning on using the Wavelet Transform in the Signal Processing Toolkit?

Randall Pursley
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,692 Views)

yes sir i have it . registered version

Bill David
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,692 Views)

Send me an email and I will send you a vi that you can look at for denoising.  What version of LabVIEW do you run?

mailto:pursley@helix.nih.gov

Randall Pursley
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,692 Views)