NI Labs Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raspberry Pi: Using the USB-6008 driver for cDAQ-9178 ?

Hello Community,

at the moment, I am part of a research project in which we measure the power consumption of a machine tool using the cDAQ-9178 in addition with the NI 9225 and NI 9215.

To implement a low cost energy monitoring system, we decided to program a GUI and a specific control logic on a Raspberry Pi. The plan is to get rid of the windows machine running LabView and create a direct connection between the cDAQ and the Raspberry Pi.

Now my question:

Is there any way to create such a connection between the Raspberry Pi and the cDAQ? The DAQmx-driver does not (yet?) exist for the Raspberry, however, there is the community developed driver for the USB-6008. Is there any chance, that using this driver will also work with the cDAQ-9178 or are these two devices so different, that this will not work? At the moment, I am not near the equipment to test it out personally.

I am also in contact with the NI Support. Replied very quickly with quite a good answer, thanks for that! At the moment, it seems that establishing a connection via TCP/IP between LabView and the Raspberry Pi is my best chance of getting this to work. This however, requires the Windows machine running, which defies the hole purpose of a "low cost, low energy consumption Energy Monitoring System".

Since the USB-6008-driver is community-supported, I am turning to you guys. Any ideas on how to approach this problem?

Thanks!

Hendrik

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,024 Views)

Maybe I was a little quick with submitting my reply, since I want to elaborate a little further:

I always assumed, there would be the possibility of sending data via RS232 or USB with a simple 8N1 serial protocol (or similar) from the cDAQ to the Raspberry Pi. It seems though, that this is not as easy as I assumed.

Thanks for your input, guys!

Hendrik

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,395 Views)

I would consider using the cRIO 9063 chassis. No PC required, and you can use TCP/IP to talk to the raspberry if you need to. Just about the same price as the 9178.

Bruce

Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,395 Views)