cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do a local copy of NI repo for Linux RT cRIO

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

How I can do a local copy of the NI repo for an offline cRIO ?

My entire network are disconnect from the web, I would like use something like RSync to create a local copy of the NI repo. Is that possible ?

Regards Marc

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,446 Views)

Hi Marc,

Which repo (or repos) are you referring to? If you are talking about the repos that NI hosts on github, the nice thing is that, since that source is hosted in what's known as a distributed version control system (DVCS), once you've cloned down the repo, you have a workable local copy of the repo. This allows you to do work on the repo without a network connection (even keeping commits and changelists local to your machine).

This is a pretty good, high-level comparison between centralized source control (what you're likely used to) and distributed source control (which is what git is): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yQlKEq-Ueg (disclaimer: I've never used nor endorse the product being advertised, I just felt that the quick video covers the basics)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,867 Views)

If, instead, you are talking about the software installation repo (or feed), I don't know that there's anything packaged up, ready for you to use, but you could use a tool like VisualWget to recursively download the feed URL. Note, then, that you'd want to configure a machine that is visible to the controllers to have a webserver that is hosting up the downloaded package repo, and adjust your controllers to point at your internal feed/repo server.

Message 3 of 8
(3,867 Views)

Hi brad,

For exemple under Fedora, when I need a local repo, I copy the entire DVD and the RPM fusion repository on the www directory of apache.

Then all computers use this local repo. I have to change the address of the repo in yum.

I would like do the same with the NI repos for cRIO.

Now with my cRIO, which I not familiar with the GNU/Linux inside, where I can change the address of the repo ?

Or do you have a documentation of the package manager ?

I have to install NTP package on my cRIO. I think I have to use this repo : http://download.ni.com/ni-linux-rt/feeds/2015/arm/ipk/

regards Marc

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,867 Views)

The package manager for NI Linux RT is opkg, a well-known embedded package manager similar to dpkg/apt.

The configuration files you want to look at are in /etc/opkg/, there you can either add a .conf pointing to your local repo/feed (that you've wget-downloaded and hosted on a reachable server) or change the existing one. Note that these changes will be lost anytime that you format and reinstall to the controller.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,867 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marc-Henri

I will do a wget of NI repo's and add an alias in my dns server. Like this download.ni.com will point on my local server. It will be transparent for the cRIO.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,867 Views)

I wasn't sure what your IT chops were (or what your IT involvement would be), but that's the ideal solution. Well, aside from NI offering a single packaged download for folks like yourself...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,867 Views)

I will do a wget of NI repo's and add an alias in my dns server

You can also download the feed via FTP @ ftp://download.ni.com/ni-linux-rt/feeds/ . That might be easier than using wget with HTTP.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,867 Views)