NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mount windows network drive on RT Linux

Hi,

I try to find an alternative to WebDAV.

Basically, I want to save IMAQ template images files (PNG) with vision info on a window network drive.

Once I have a part to inspect, I'm refering to those template images for the inspection. I used a CVS1458 WES7 to do this in the past so on Windows 7 Embedded, it was easy.

The new vision controller IC-3173 only work with RT Linux so far, I also have a CVS 1458RT to test my code. I would like to mount directly the drive into Linux.

I tried a few thing without success...

1. read about CIFS but could install it.

2. download bzip2 to install cifs but could install bzip2, etc..

Do you have an alternative or do you think cifs is a good way to mount? should I stay with WebDAV (I dont like it because I'm not able to load directly the PNG file, I also can't convert "data" to png with vision information. Best scenario would be to load png file directly with "IMAQ load image" function and from the network drive directly.

Let me know if you can help.

Thank you,

Patrick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,380 Views)

paubine wrote:

Hi,

I tried a few thing without success...

1. read about CIFS but could install it.

2. download bzip2 to install cifs but could install bzip2, etc..

Can you give us a bit more detail than simply saying that you tried a few things without success? What version of the NI software are you using on your controllers? What commands did you use? What error messages did you see?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,832 Views)

Hi BradM,

I'm able to do what I need using WebDAV server on the Windows machine. Then on the Real Time Target (CVS 1459RT) I use WebDAV Function to copy templates images to the target local drive. Then I take these images and do my inspections. Then erase them.

What i tried is mounting a windows network drive directly on the target (like in windows) or accessing it directly without copying temporally files. What I tried but I'm newby in Linux is to mount the network drive. I open the Linux Console by pluging a keyboard and a monitor to the CVS 1458 and tried function in the console.

First i read that i could do that with mount function..

mount -t cifs //192.xxx.xxx.xxx/abc /mnt/lan -o username=blabla password=blabla

when I tried that, i needed the application cifs, so I downloaded it but to install it i needed bzip2, so i download bzip2.

is it a good way to mount drive, if yes I will try to find a linux technian to help me with the functions...

Patrick

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,832 Views)

How did you download and install, and from where? There is CIFS support on the software feeds for 2015, and therefore it should be as simple as running the command opkg update && opkg install cifs-utils.

While you can, indeed, usually build software from the source on NI targets, if the software's already available on the software feeds that are preconfigured, why not use them?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,832 Views)

Hi BradM,

I connected my CVS to the internet and I typed what you suggested me and then tried mounting the windows network drive, it worked fist time.

I will read more about the software feeds to learn more about those packages, as well as Linux in general.

Thanks a lot.

Patrick

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,832 Views)

Glad to hear that things worked smoothly. Sometimes, with Windows Shares, getting cifs installed is just the start of the pain...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,832 Views)