NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Deployment and Image Persistence

JackDunaway wrote:

the package packagegroup-core-buildessential-dev

And, feel free to suggest a better build package. I'm not settled on one, but this one has been doing a decent job as long as builds are made in the same session. Then reboot, everything's gone, replaced by the default image --but at least I have retrieved a working .so binary from that session!

This volatile state and reset behavior is excellent, perfect -- exact behavior you desire for a build environment -- it's just that I'd love to specify the image that's booted as a pre-configured environment, rather than a "blank" image!

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,224 Views)

SWS is not needed for deploying a VI and if you don't need WIF, and are willing to reboot into safemode some other way (via your LV app or ssh or physical pushbutton) to initiate any later install, format, etc. operations from MAX, you don't need SWS at all. We don't enable uninstalling it from MAX, but with some relatively minor hacking you could do it I think. If you're interested I'll have someone see if there's a knowledgebase on how to do that and if not, make one.

Message 12 of 16
(1,223 Views)

Great info on SWS, especially the affirmation it's not a hard dependency. I'd be happy to help contribute to the knowledgebase article on deployments sans AppWeb.

Communicating with the device purely over SSH/SFTP is acceptable, even desirable. It would be MONEY to figure out how to get the USB/ethernet able to connect to OS X, rather than depending on WiFi -- any thoughts here? The motivation here is to rule out WiFi as the cause for unreliable "large" operations, such as transferring many files.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(1,223 Views)

ScotSalmon wrote:

If you're interested I'll have someone see if there's a knowledgebase on how to do that and if not, make one.

We're interested in this with an embedded product based on cRIO. Did that KB ever get written? Could you link me to it?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(1,223 Views)

This is the only related document that I'm familiar with,

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/167E31CEFB2D5CED86257BAA006C6CE1

In addition to what's in the document, you'll likely also need to run,

update-rc.d -f  nivalidatestartup remove

nivalidatestartup runs as a check to make sure that SWS and other components like avahi and niauth are running. If this is still present and SWS is removed, it will report that the software set is in an invalidate state and runmode will fail to boot.

I'm adding this to the KB now.

Tim A.
Message 15 of 16
(1,223 Views)

JackDunaway wrote:

JackDunaway wrote:

the package packagegroup-core-buildessential-dev

And, feel free to suggest a better build package.

the -dev package is only of-interest if you intend on building something that depends on the source-based components of the tools themselves (read: they will be adding or changing some functionality to the tools themselves).

Most will only need the packagegroup-core-buildessential meta-package.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,224 Views)