NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

/etc/init.d/skeleton missing from Linux RT

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to set up a couple of scripts as startup daemons on my cRIO. I can't find the /etc/init.d/skeleton template on this distro, though. Can someone provide it or point me to a valid copy elsewhere on the internet? Or answer whether this one will work?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,055 Views)

That listed one is a reasonable starting place, but as I recall, there was some issue using start-stop-daemon's signalling. Additionally, not all of the utility scripts sourced in that example exist on the distro, so you'd want to remove those. Unfortunately, quite a bit of the rest of the scripting uses the functionality provided by those utility scripts, so you'd probably spend less time just using one of the existing scripts on the target, copying it, and modifying it for your needs.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,700 Views)

Thanks. Can you provide a path to one I should use as a starting point? Or list out the features that do and don't exist on NI's distribution? Need some better documentation on this stuff since it's a custom distro.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,700 Views)

The sshd script is a pretty reasonable starting-point, you can trim out the bits dealing with nirtcfg (it can be useful for other things later, if you so choose).

The issue with meddling with the underlying OS is that is not something technically supported by NI. This forum is seen as a reasonable middle-ground for both NIers and those with some Linux experience to share and collaborate.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,700 Views)

I get that, which is why I post here so often. And I'm deeply grateful for all the help you lend. But NI created a custom Linux distro with gotchas and undocumented limitations, and that creates a debt of support for the thing if they want people to use it. A policy of "we don't support that because it's too advanced/hard" undermines the company's and the product's credibility.

But like I said, I'm gateful for your help. Off to write an init script...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,700 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Staab_Engineering

Staab_Engineering wrote:

But NI created a custom Linux distro with gotchas and undocumented limitations, and that creates a debt of support for the thing if they want people to use it.

For the ways in which NI supports that the controllers are used, it is documented (in a few languages).

A policy of "we don't support that because it's too advanced/hard" undermines the company's and the product's credibility.

If you wanted some additional resources, there are a few tutorials covering the topic of startup scripts: Tutorial: Installing Startup Scripts on NI Linux Real-Time Deploy a startup application using Eclipse (additionally, there are online resources. The one you found just happened to expect that certain utility scripts existed for use in the startup scripts).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,700 Views)

Oh, well...yeah. That's, like, exactly what I needed. Thanks for the (first) link!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,700 Views)