NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is the call library function node a bolttleneck

i have been experimenting with high performance linear algebra libraries and parallelisation on the NI Linux RT targets and some tests I did yesterday showed that it makes no difference if I call a library generated with blas implementations of matrix operations or sequential FOR implementations.

The thing I noticed afterwards was that these two functions:

float myArr[50000000];
int i = 0;
int seqMulti(void){

for (i = 0; i < 50000000; i++) {
		myArr[i] = 256*i;
	}
return i;
}

int paraMulti(void){

#pragma omp parallel for
	for (i = 0; i < 50000000; i++) {
	    myArr[i] = 256*i;
	}
return i;
}

performed exactly the same when called from the call library function node.

Is there something that I'm overlooking? Am I locked to a single thread when calling code with the Call Library Function node?

I compiled the shared object with -O3 -march=atom -mtune=atom -fopenmp -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -fPIC

the interesting part is that the paraMulti function returns nothing, while the seqMulti function returns the correct iteration number. Both calls take exactly 111 ms to execute on my cRIO.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,766 Views)

The call library function node does nothing to prevent you from creating threads, I'd instead suspect that the GCC tools being used haven't been configured with gomp support.

I'm away from my controllers at the moment, so I can't verify but check the tools to see how they were configured with a "gcc -v"

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,737 Views)

I have two GCC versions installed. The default one:

admin@NI-cRIO-9039-01BE3F31:~# gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/gcc/x86_64-nilrt-linux/4.8.2/lto-wrapper
Target: x86_64-nilrt-linux
Configured with: /builds/perforce/ThirdPartyExports/NIOpenEmbedded/trunk/3.5/objects/targettools/linuxU/x64/gcc-4.7-oe/release/build/tmp-glibc/work-shared/gc
c-4.8.2-r0/gcc-4.8.2/configure --build=x86_64-linux --host=x86_64-nilrt-linux --target=x86_64-nilrt-linux --prefix=/usr --exec_prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin 
--sbindir=/usr/sbin --libexecdir=/usr/lib/gcc --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --sharedstatedir=/com --localstatedir=/var --libdir=/usr/lib --includedi
r=/usr/include --oldincludedir=/usr/include --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --disable-silent-rules --disable-dependency-tracking --with-lib
tool-sysroot=/builds/perforce/ThirdPartyExports/NIOpenEmbedded/trunk/3.5/objects/targettools/linuxU/x64/gcc-4.7-oe/release/build/tmp-glibc/sysroots/x64 --wit
h-gnu-ld --enable-shared --enable-languages=c,c++ --enable-threads=posix --enable-multilib --enable-c99 --enable-long-long --enable-symvers=gnu --enable-libs
tdcxx-pch --program-prefix=x86_64-nilrt-linux- --without-local-prefix --enable-target-optspace --enable-lto --enable-libssp --disable-bootstrap --disable-lib
mudflap --with-system-zlib --with-linker-hash-style=gnu --enable-linker-build-id --with-ppl=no --with-cloog=no --enable-checking=release --enable-cheaders=c_
global --with-sysroot=/ --with-build-sysroot=/builds/perforce/ThirdPartyExports/NIOpenEmbedded/trunk/3.5/objects/targettools/linuxU/x64/gcc-4.7-oe/release/bu
ild/tmp-glibc/sysroots/x64 --with-native-system-header-dir=/builds/perforce/ThirdPartyExports/NIOpenEmbedded/trunk/3.5/objects/targettools/linuxU/x64/gcc-4.7
-oe/release/build/tmp-glibc/sysroots/x64/usr/include --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.8.2 --enable-nls --enable-__cxa_atexit --with-arch=core2 --wit
h-tune=core2
Thread model: posix

and a version i compiled with fortran support in order to compile ATLAS. I didn't specifically set the --disable-libgomp flag, so I don't know if I have it or not. I can't seem to find the flag to explicitly enable it...

admin@NI-cRIO-9039-01BE3F31:~/gcc-4.9.4/bin# ./gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=./gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/home/admin/gcc-4.9.4/libexec/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.9.4/lto-wrapper
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Configured with: ./configure --prefix=/home/admin/gcc-4.9.4 --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran --disable-multilib
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.9.4 (GCC) 

what I actually did do was install the libgomp through opkg:

admin@NI-cRIO-9039-01BE3F31:~/gcc-4.9.4/bin# ldconfig -p |grep omp
        libnss_compat.so.2 (libc6,x86-64, OS ABI: Linux 3.14.3) => /lib/libnss_compat.so.2
        libnss_compat.so (libc6,x86-64, OS ABI: Linux 3.14.3) => /usr/lib/libnss_compat.so
        libgomp.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libgomp.so.1
        libXcomposite.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libXcomposite.so.1

I think I'll try building GCC again with --enable-libgomp and see if that does something...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,732 Views)

@tusrob wrote:

Is there something that I'm overlooking? Am I locked to a single thread when calling code with the Call Library Function node?

Any ideas?

I know it's probably late and the OP probably won't see this, but did you make sure to configure the Call Library Node to run in ANY thread? With the default "Run in UI thread" I could imagine such effects.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 4
(1,739 Views)