cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while installing MSI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

so our IT actually somehow fixed the issue by applying fix to win registers... this moved shared folder from public to program files. It does not works 100% reliable - looks like you need to have a failed install, after that update registers, install again.

StanislavVitesco_0-1694495570167.png

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 32
(1,282 Views)

Hi Valerie -

I suspect that the value determines how the protection works in Defender, i.e. see Set-MpPreference - REMEDIATION VALUES:

1 Clean the detected threat.
2 Quarantine the detected threat.

I believe the default is 1. Since it is different than default and that you cannot change the setting, your IT is likely enforcing a policy on your system.

If so, obviously IT not including the public folder is one option. I am not sure if it is possible for IT to define an targeted exception for the National Instruments subfolder only.

Please consider sharing anything that you learn, thanks.

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 32
(1,240 Views)

Stan, ah yes, most NI Software should be using the NIPUBDOCSDIR NIPath that defaults to the C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\ directory.

So as an example, you could pre-create the below two registry keys and pre-create the directory they list to redirect where NI Software installs files.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\National Instruments\Common\Installer]
"NIPUBDOCSDIR"="D:\\NI Documents\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\National Instruments\Common\Installer]
"NIPUBDOCSDIR"="D:\\NI Documents\\"

This is likely a viable workaround, so if some of you do this and are NOT successful, please consider posting back.

Some previous testing that I did shows that not all NI Software adheres to this, so for example some software that did not honor NIPUBDOCSDIR location at install time or runtime were:

1. VeriStand contains "custom devices" directories

2. CVI contains a "samples" directories

3. Measurement Studio contains a "examples" directories

4. NI Requirements Gateway installed "ToolMenusToInstall" in installed "TestStand" directories

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 32
(1,237 Views)

The following resolved this issue for me: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000001DkJeCAK&l=en-CA

I had somehow modified the directory permissions on my %temp% folder.

Launch command prompt as admin then run the following command: 

icacls %temp% /q /c /t /reset

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 32
(1,098 Views)

I am seeing this error when attempting to install the NI Configuration Manager on a brand new Windows 11 PC.

The HMI provides this warning: 

An error occurred while installing a package: ni-max-rempxi-provider (19.0.0.49152-0+f0)

Additional error information:
• An error occurred while installing the MSI at 'RemPXI_Provider.msi'.

Here are some clues provided by the NIPM error logs:

$ cd ~/AppData/Local/National Instruments/NI Package Manager/Logs
$ grep error *txt
agentsErrorLog.txt:Error -125530! An error occurred while installing the MSI at 'RemPXI_Provider.msi'.
agentsErrorLog.txt:An error occurred in OnTransactionStep for transaction type 'install'.
errorlog.txt:Launched NI Package Manager, but it returned an error
errorlog.txt:-125083: An error occurred while installing a package: ni-max-rempxi-provider (19.0.0.49152-0+f0)
errorlog.txt:Additional error information:
errorlog.txt:-125530: An error occurred while installing the MSI at 'RemPXI_Provider.msi'.
errorlog.txt:-125083: An error occurred while installing a package: ni-max-rempxi-provider (19.0.0.49152-0+f0)

[several repetitions followed]

Before I installed NIPM, our IT provider initialized the machine and installed a malware detector, and other IT-ish tools. But, aside from that, the machine is out-of-the-box new.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

-- Mark

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 32
(300 Views)

Addendum: We are using LabVIEW 2020 SP1 32-bit. Do we know that this version works on Windows 11?

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 32
(286 Views)

To gather more insight as to why the MSI failed you would need to enable MSI logging and the log file for that package with others on this forum. Refer to Generating and Locating NI Package Manager Error Logs for how to do that.

Can you share what malware detecting software is installed on the system?

Regarding support, LabVIEW 2022 Q3 is the first version NI officially supported on Windows 11. I personally am not aware of any reason that older LabVIEW would not install on Windows 11 as I am currently using LabVIEW 2019 for some projects and not seeing issues. There really is not a lot of differences between Windows 10 and 11 in my opinion and I would not expect the error you are seeing to be due to Windows 11.

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 32
(275 Views)

Hi, Scott. Thanks for your reply.

The Malware software is SentinelOne.

I am using the *current* version of NIPM, 2024, 64-bit.

FWIW, I'm attempting to install the LabVIEW 2020 SP1 runtime and system configuration packages on this brand new machine, in order to run a program that has been built on another (Windows 10) machine. This is not a new operation for us -- we've been doing exactly this for years.

I have previously loaded the runtime, and it's complete enough that I can run my app's .exe; its HMI paints correctly, but then it pops up a dialog box with a JSONized LV error object:

MarkBowles_0-1712450722260.png

This is coming from our code, in response to an attempt to find possible cRIOs on the network to connect to -- in other words, attempting to use the System Configuration module, which isn't installed yet.  So far, so good.

I then tell NIPM to install the System Configuration module, version 20.5.  After I approve all the licenses, it says:

MarkBowles_1-1712451003508.png

Wait, what? It wants to install the *2019* Runtime, presumably as a prerequisite to the 2020.5 System Configuration. I infer that somehow NIPM doesn't actually "see" the 2020.5 runtime.

So, I abort that installation and decide to remove the 2020.5 runtime and start over. This generates an error in the NIPM HMI:

MarkBowles_2-1712451322932.png

File "errorlog.txt" in the NIPM log directory:

MarkBowles_3-1712451462055.png

There is a 310-line log file in Logs/WinInstMSI/NIPkgWinInst_ni-labview-[date].log . I'll attempt to upload this file in a subsequent post. 

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 32
(256 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 32
(252 Views)

Hi Mark,

That MSI is failing with error 1618, which means that there is another MSI install is still progress (only one MSI can run at a time). This can occur if Windows Update is running, your IT folks are pushing some updates, or MSI bookkeeping didn't get cleared. First suggestion is to wait for any updates to complete, the reboot.

Message 30 of 32
(220 Views)