cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release of NI Package Manager 20.7.1 Patch

Hi All,

We have identified a couple of issues with NI Package Manager 20.7

First issue

Package installers created with Package Builder, LabWindows/CVI, and Volume License Manager fail to install when the installer is built on a system with Package Manager 20.7 and the installer includes a package built using Package Manager 20.7.

We have released a NIPM patch (20.7.1) to address this issue. Rebuild the affected installer after installing the patch.

Second Issue

After the release of Package Manager 20.7, building 32-bit deployments in LabVIEW, TestStand, NI Package Builder, or LabWindows/CVI on 64-bit OS internet-connected systems create package installers that might fail to install on 32-bit OSes.

We have provided a workaround to this problem as described in the following KB: NI Package-Based Distribution Built on 64-Bit Computer Fails to Install On 32-Bit

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Carlos Gonzalez

NI Package Manager Product Owner

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,879 Views)

Hi Carlos.

Will packages build in LabVIEW with version 20.7.1 be able to install on a machine with version 20.7?

Best regards
Jens Christian Andersen.
CLA, CTA, CPI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,814 Views)

Yes, they can! There was not any change in package compatibility between 20.7.0 and 20.7.1. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,806 Views)

Hi,

What about support for WES7 systems (e.g. NI Touchpanels)?
I have found out that now, with NI Package Manager 20.7.1 on my development pc I can't easily deploy my application to the Remote Development Target (TPC-2230).
Recommended way to do that is building an installer containing your exe and deploying it from Project Explorer. Installer built with LabVIEW 2020SP1 is being properly deployed to the remote target, but when I try to launch it, I got a message that Windows 10 64-bit is required. This happens both with additional Runtime installer attached or without any additional installers.

Bakur_0-1621299260659.png

Is it truly expected behaviour that application installer built with LV2020SP1, containing only the application (no additional installers) has a dependency on installed NI Package Manager version?

Patryk Jankowski

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,762 Views)

Patryk,

WES7 is a variant of Windows 7, so it's included in the OS deprecation as well. Unfortunately yes, the engine behind the building of the installer is part of NI Package Manager (NIPM) itself and is shared for all packages and ADEs on the system. So when NIPM is updated, this engine is updated as well. This is mentioned as part of the release notes here as well as a message during the install, but I can see that being easy to overlook.

As a workaround, you can downgrade to NIPM 20.6 - which is the last version to support Windows 7. Your symptom is different, but you can do step 1 of the procedure in this KB to do this downgrade (the other steps are optional).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,748 Views)

Hi WesW, thank you for your answer.

I have found out that it is still possible to run the installer as long as VersionNTMin=10,0,0,0,0 in [Installer_Name].ini file is changed to another value. 7,0,0,0,0 didn't work for me but with 5,1,2600,3,0 (5 is Windows XP so it's even lower than needed but i didn't want to spend time looking for combinations for the rest of the numbers) everything installed correctly. So it seems that installer is built in the same way, it's just that minimum version property is overriden.

Patryk 

Message 6 of 7
(1,730 Views)

Patryk,

Ah, I missed that you were using the older MSI-based installers! In that case, just to confirm, yes - editing that attribute in the .ini file is the best workaround for those.

Regards,

- Wes

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,716 Views)