NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access counter 5313xa / 53131a with IVI Step Types

Good morning!

I want to use the counter 53131A from Agilent in TestStand. Due to the fact that there is no specific step for a counter I tried to access the instrument with the IVI Tools step.

But I just can perform the Init operation at any other operation an error occurs 'The season handle is invalid...'

Cheers Frank

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,613 Views)
I don't understand what you are trying to do. The IVI Foundation has not released an IVI Counter class so even if you manage to register the driver in MAX and create a session (which I doubt you can do), there is no way to program it and get a measurement. You will have to do this with a code module.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,597 Views)

Thanks for your answer. I am trying to start a measurement from TestStand using the IVI Drivers.

I registered the driver in MAX and was able to create a season that's why I was thinking I could use the instrument  via the IVI Tools.

If you say that this is not possible unless there is no IVI Counter class then I have to find an other way to use the instrument in TestStand.

But there is still the question, why NI writes an IVI Driver ?

Frank

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,584 Views)

Hi Frank,

I am using the same Device in our production field.  I am using instead of IVI (unless i allways prefer IVI) the VISA driver

and this is working well ! (I have recompiled the SRC to get help Information to TS)

Take a look at the example

Greetings

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
Download All
Message 4 of 10
(4,582 Views)

Dupicated !

Message Edited by j_dodek on 04-29-2009 02:13 AM
--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,582 Views)
If I had to guess, the IVI driver was written to a preliminary IVI Counter class spec. If you want an IVI Counter Class driver, see http://www.ivifoundation.org/. You can find the minutes from the last meeting.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,564 Views)

Juergen

Thanks for your code!

Dennis

Thanks for your answers!

Cheers Frank

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,546 Views)

Now that IviCounter has been added to the IVI Compliance Package 4.1 has anyone successfully controlled a 53131A using the Labview IviCounter pallette. I have installed IVI Compliance PAckage 4.1, NI-VISA 4.6.2 and now have the IviCounter pallette available in Labview 8.6. However when I try to communicate using this pallette I get an error for all commands except for "IviCounter Initialise.vi" and "IviCounter Close.vi".

The error is code BFFA0011

"IviCounter IVI Error Converter.vi<ERR>

Primary Error: (Hex 0xBFFA0011) Function or method not supported.

Elaboration: FunctionId: 58,  FunctionName: ConfigureFrequencyManual

<b>Complete call chain:</b>

IviCounter IVI Error Converter.vi

IviCounter Configure Frequency Manual.vi

Untitled 1.vi".

My question is has any successfully taken a measurement using the IviCounter pallette?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,227 Views)

Hi,

just had a quick look at our updates to the IVI drivers and it appears that there's a newer version updated in July of this year that could help :

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=7ADED15031B21C09E04400144FB7D2...

have you tried this version yet?

Thanks

Sacha

// it takes almost no time to rate an answer Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,836 Views)

Will try this in the next few weeks with the IVI Compliance  Package 4.2

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,826 Views)