NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling a labVIEW VI in testing with FB open and run for long time

Hello All,

I have one labVIEW VI created with few buttons on the front panel and my requirement is to call this labVIEW VI in my Teststand seq. Whenever i call my Teststand seq, the very first thing is it should start execute the VI i developed with front panel open and continue to run the rest of the sub sequence in my main sequence. But my labview VI should still run until i manually go and abort  it or i call thread programmatically close the VI. Can anyone help on this?

thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,020 Views)

Hey Diana, 

Can you explain why you want your VI to continue running if you are terminating it or calling abort on it? The point of aborting a VI is to stop its execution. Is there a portion of this VI that can be taken out and put into another VI that can then be called after you have terminated this first VI? 

Thanks,

Roxy

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,000 Views)

@Diana85 wrote:

Whenever i call my Teststand seq, the very first thing is it should start execute the VI i developed with front panel open and continue to run the rest of the sub sequence in my main sequence. But my labview VI should still run until i manually go and abort  it or i call thread programmatically close the VI. Can anyone help on this?

My most recent way to do this was to make a wrapper VI that uses the Asynchronous Call By Reference to run the "GUI VI".  I use queues (stored in Action Engines) to get data in and out of that VI.  So on the TestStand side, I just call the launcher VI at the beginning and call another VI at the end to tell the GUI VI to close.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,997 Views)

Hi.

To me it sounds like what you are looking for is the "Run VI Asynchronously" step which is found the "LabVIEW Utility" folder in the "Step Types" pane. It makes the VI call as a new thread in your execution context, and thus it allows you to handle the VI call just like any other thread you might have started.

Best regards
Jens Christian Andersen.
CLA, CTA, CPI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,988 Views)

Hi..

Thanks.. I got to know how to use Run VI Asynchronously. But I am not aware of how to access the VI variables from different teststand seq. any idea?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,971 Views)