NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Wait step type

Hi,

I'd like to create custom step type which is practically the same as the standard Wait step except that it has the looping parameters set to a predefined expression.

Is there an easy way to do this (couple steps), or should I really dive deep in the custom step types topic?

thx.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,275 Views)

Is the purpose of a custom step so that you don't have to type in the expressions every time you drop it down?  If so then I'd argue that using templates is a better option.

Otherwise it isn't bad making custom steps.   You can create from existing and then tweak some of the properties.  The major problem I have with custom steps is that you have to maintain them and they can cause type viruses.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,257 Views)

I'd also like them to able to change all the instances at once, so kinda like strict typedef is LV. Can templates do that? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,254 Views)

Templates are more like ctls where they detach from the type def.  You are correct that if you wanted the strict type version then you would need to create custom step types.  There are some caveats with this though.  It's important to understand that when you add a step to a sequence file it copies the type def to the file.  So every sequence file stores all of the types that it contains instances for.  This allows the sequence file to be independent.  Because of this your changes to the type won't propagate to disk copies unless you open them with the typedef already loaded into TestStand (e.g. a palette). 

The other problem is that just because you update the type doesn't mean it will go to all instances open unless you have the checkbox checked when you edit the type.

Here are the steps:

1. Open type palette
  2. Click on NI_SyncTypes.ini and copy the NI_Wait step
  3. Click on MyTypes.ini and past in the Step Types section
  4. Copy the copy and paste it again (this is necessary because the first copy was just the NI_Wait step still)
  5. Delete the original copy.
  6. Rename the step
  7. Right click on the step type and select Step Properties
  8. Edit to your hearts content (The Default Loop Options in your case)
  9. Make sure that before you close you check the Apply Changes in this Dialog to all Loaded Steps of this Type (do this every time if you want strict type functionality)
  10. Save it and when you get the modified dialog decide how you want to do the versioning.  I usually just click OK

Hope this helps,

1. Right-click in Step Types and select
jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,252 Views)