NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra Window for LabVIEW User Interface's Subpanel

Hello,

I am using TestStand 2016 and LabVIEW 2017. I have a similar problem described in the following thread. However, it didn't really help me solve my problem.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/Extra-Window-when-using-SubPanel/td-p/2705251

I have a user interface as shown below. I modified the shipped simple UI example. The Show Front Panel VI's front panel is inserted into the subpanel correctly but it's never active there. A window pops up instead and that's where the front panel is updated.

1.png

In the Initialize step, the subpanel reference is inserted into the TestStand UI Data cluster. 

2.png

This is the Register Event Callbacks step. I added the UI Message Event callback.

3.png

This is the front panel of the UI Message Event callback VI.

4.png

This is part of the block diagram.

5.png

If I use the interface from the following link (first ZIP file), the subpanel works just fine. I don't know what makes the difference.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Programs/Dynamic-LabVIEW-Subpanel-in-a-TestStand-User-Interface/ta-...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,556 Views)

I think you are running in one of the two caveats:

• When running the UI in the LabVIEW development system, the LabVIEW adapter must also use the development system.  If the UI is running as an executable, the LabVIEW adapter must be configured to execute VIs in the Runtime engine.
  • if the code module is called in a new thread, whether by existing in a subsequence call in a new thread or through the use of the Run VI Asynchronously step, the VI will execute in a separate window as well

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,506 Views)

Hello Norbert,

I haven't built an executable yet. If I open TestStand (the version selected by TestStand Version Selector), I see that LabVIEW Development System (2017) is correctly selected on the adapter configuration panel. No new thread is called and there is no asynchronous step in the simple example sequence.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,477 Views)

I found that the extra window pops up only if I run the user interface VI after opening its project file. If I open the interface VI without the project window open, it works fine. I wonder why. The project doesn't even contain anything from the sequence file.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,472 Views)

Will you ever need to open the VI in the project and in TestStand simultaneously?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,456 Views)

t@nim@t0R wrote:

Will you ever need to open the VI in the project and in TestStand simultaneously?

No, I can't think of any reason to do that.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,445 Views)