NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent Windows10 or IE 11 patch no longer processes any of the Report generator TR5_Horitzontal Style sheets, gives processing error.

We have never been able to open our XML logs with anything but IE11, and as of yesterday, recent patches or changes in our security has caused the style sheet to not be processed.  Using debug mode in IE11, we can tell the file is found, bit processing fails, but no further debug info is shown.

We go to one of our older systems that have not been patched, and they are operating fine.  But they have a older version of IE11.

XML reporting has always just worked and nobody on my team has much experience debugging it.

XML5001: Applying Integrated XSLT Handling. XSLT8690: XSLT processing failed.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,157 Views)

Hi, 

Can you post the version of IE on the machine that is patched and one that is not patched? Also can you post a sample report that does not work. 

Regards

Anand Jain

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,125 Views)

The system not working is:

Version: 11.846.16299.0

Updated Versions: 11.0.100

Product ID: 00150-20000-00003-AA459

Working system:

Version: 11.0.9600.19180

Updated Versions: 11.0.95

Attached log was from TS2016 using the TR5_Horizontal sheet located in the NI directory.

When using debug mode, it says the XSLT processing failed, but I cannot dig any deeper or step into it.  Or, I just do not know how to.

Thanks,

Pete

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,112 Views)

Hi Peter, 

I have the latest internet explorer update installed from Microsoft (KB 4483187) from December 19, 2018, and your report opened fine. This is what is on my machine:

Version: 11.472.17134.0

Update Versions: 11.0.101 (KB4483187)

Is this the only machine where you cannot open the report? Are all machines with this version exhibiting this behavior? Would you be able to try out this latest update from Microsoft? 

I was trying to download your particular version of IE but was having trouble finding it to download from Microsoft. My machine has the latest updates for Windows 10. 

Thanks,

Roxy

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,099 Views)

Hi Pete, 

Any update on this? 

I'm part of TestStand R&D and I looked into this and was unable to reproduce your issue internally. Could you follow up with the questions I asked previously? 

Thanks,

Roxy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,977 Views)

Sorry for the delay.  Traveling between sites and at a different one now.

Yes, it is affected all of our machines now as the particular Windows patch is rolled out.  Both 2013 and 2016 generated reports.  All are failing to process the style sheet. 

I tried the basic style sheet and it fails as well.

One of my test engineers tracked it to a "December 21st" (KB4471327) patch form Microsoft.  If she removes it, the XLST is processed fine.  However, we get kicked off our network in 2hrs after we remove it due to the security violation.  We are not getting approved to not install it, so we need to figure what changed.

I cannot get the IE to upgrade to 101 no matter what I try, Windows update says I am up to date.  it may be due to how our IT manages patches.  Also, there was a note on the Microsoft forum that the version may not get displayed if certain patches go in a certain order.

Going to 2017 is not really helpful, since it has to do with viewing the reports and unless there is something different in the 2017 style sheet, I am still stuck.

I hope I covered your questions.

Pete

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,957 Views)

Hi Peter,

I set up a fresh Windows 10 machine and installed only the updates that you pointed me to and TestStand 2016. I now have the same updated version of IE as you, and still had no issue with the report that you attached. However, I did notice that my IE version is higher than yours, which indicates that you're only installing a partial patch? 

Does your IT manage all of your updates? 

Can you uninstall this partial update and install the update that you pointed me to earlier and test out the report? 

Thanks,

Roxy

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,912 Views)

I am running 1709, not sure when that occurred since I have been trying to get 1803 to install, but it appears our IT is blocking it.

I checked a file this morning and it is magically working.  This is after another TEs machine started working last week, and the IT person that was helping on this was failing and it started working as of Friday.  We could find no reason why for any of the machines.  It seems to be a pushed patch, but we cannot figure out which one.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,891 Views)

Hi Peter,

It's good to hear that things are working again. At this point, we haven't seen anything internally that would suggest that TestStand is at fault, but keep us posted on this issue if you see it again.

Thanks,

Roxy

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,884 Views)

I agree.  I never thought it was, except for the style sheet making the new security settings unhappy for some reason. 

Are there any plans to migrate the report viewing tool to full support by NI?  Microsoft is most likely going to deprecate IE sometime, in favor of Edge.  We have never been able to get any other browser to work.  Edge, Firefox, Chrome or Safari.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,882 Views)