NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teststand version selector missing

Hi, 

I had TestStand 2016 working, then I added 2017, it was also working. After I added and removed 2010 version of teststand (due to customer's version being 2010), I cannot launch any teststand versions.

The version selector would error out, so I cleaned up all versions, and removed version selector manually. Now I am completely screwed, I can install 2017 or 2016, but they won't run, and I cannot find version selector anywhere...

I need help with this issue 😞

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,601 Views)

Can you describe exactly what you mean by "removed version selector manually"?  Did you delete the files from your program files?

Tyler O.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,569 Views)

Hi,

Yes, I manually removed it after failing to be able to run testStand after installation. I did have everything running correctly with 2016 version. Then I added 2017, that was fine. I added 2010 due to a customer using that version, and after I uninstalled it, things stopped working. version selector would run, and fail to set the current version. Now that I manually removed it hoping it would be added back by a reinstall, I am out of luck as it was not reinstalled. 

I'd like to get back on my feet but I am not sure how to make teststand happy.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,560 Views)

Your best bet is going to be trying a force re-installation of one of the newer versions of TestStand with the guide below.  manually deleting files from your program files directory is a highly problematic way of uninstalling software, as it often leaves fragments of software elsewhere on your computer and in the registry - both of which can cause you a lot of pain later on.  Force re-installations would be a good first step, but everything else is pretty much going to be a workaround.  

Force Reinstall Non-Working or Corrupt NI Software

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8U0SAK

Workarounds:

- try a virtual machine on the dev computer (allows keeping the same workstation)

- switch dev stations (new OS without any issues)

- reset the OS back to the most recent backup after saving any files you've created recently

These workarounds may be a little rough, but depending on how much you manually deleted this becomes a very non-trivial issue very quickly, and would be for a lot of software, not just NI software.

Tyler O.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,555 Views)

I will try this and report back, thanks for taking the time.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,549 Views)